Can a Router slowly fail?

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
My Linksys router of 5 years decided to take a dump a few months ago. I found a spare Netgear WGR614 in my parts bin, hooked it up, and it's been working fine up until now. Every 10 minutes or so the router seems to hiccup and prohibit access to http service (all other services seem to work fine) for about a minute, and then it works fine again for another 10 minutes. My main computer has a wired connection, and it and the other two computers connected wirelessly have the exactly the same issue. Can my router slowly be dying?

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I don't think there is such thing as slowly dying in electronic components/equipments. I can think of two possible causes:

1) those little cheap routers can't handle a lot of DNS requests simultaneously. Btw, they just forward DNS requests to your ISP name servers and even they can't handle in this situation.

2) a node behind your Netgear network hooked up a worm or trojan that constantly send requests out to the internet, and thus bog down your router.

Hope that helps a bit!

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I'm thinking it's number 2, I have every protection imaginable on the kid's computer, but they still manage to get trojans and spyware on it. Time for another format I think, thanks so much for your help!