Question Can a slow VA have worse response times at higher refresh rates?

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
I had a AOC Q27G2 for abouth a month before I returned it. It was a slow (or average?) VA panel that had a lot of smearing with dark content. But even with games with a lot of different tones and colors it wasn't fast. When I limited the FPS to 60, the gameplay was choppier, but the image was clearer. When at 120fps or above, it was more fluid, but the ghosting was way worse. 100fps was the only point where the ghosting was matching the blur of lower refresh rates while being more fluid.

What confuses me is that every time I try to search this, the only results are about how higher refresh rates reduce ghosting because it drives the pixels harder, etc. The best that I could find is Monitors Unboxed saying that when a lot of the tones have a slow response time below the refresh window, you don't get benefits of higher refresh and get ghosting similar to lower refresh rates. But I'm certain I was getting LESS ghosting at 60hz than at 120 and 144.

Can some help and clarify this for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both tools but only one tool at a time) to observe system performance while varying FPS etc..

Gaming and non-gaming.

Be methodical and vary only one configuration setting at a time.

Watch for what changes when the slowing or other problems occur.

Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both tools but only one tool at a time) to observe system performance while varying FPS etc..

Gaming and non-gaming.

Be methodical and vary only one configuration setting at a time.

Watch for what changes when the slowing or other problems occur.
None of this is relevant to the question.

Ralston18

Titan
@Glenwing

Why are the questions not relevant?

If a poster does not initially include that information then the information is routinely requested.

And even if the information is found not to be relevant then "no harm, no foul".

Plus it is only fair to note that you did not ask any questions or otherwise provide some meaningful response to the problems described by OP.

How would you respond to OP?

Why are the questions not relevant?
The question is whether ghosting on a monitor can be reduced at a lower refresh frequency. This is a function of the pixel overdrive setting on the monitor. It has nothing to do with the age of the power supply of the PC, and certainly not how full the hard drive is.

And even if the information is found not to be relevant then "no harm, no foul".

If the information is not relevant then you are asking them to write responses or check information such as model numbers that they may not have memorized, for no reason at all. It is a waste of people's time (other people's time though, so may not be of concern to you).

Generally people come to forums because they want to avoid the "generic tech support" experience that they would get if they emailed the manufacturer's customer support line, which involves (among other things) having to answer random unrelated questions because they're part of a "standard procedure".

I really don't see the purpose of having everyone fill out some copy-pasted form which is only sometimes relevant. If there's some information that you determine is needed to answer the question after reading and understanding it, then ask for that specific information at that time.

It may seem convenient for us if we just have every person list all their critical specs so that the information is already there if we should happen to need it, but it is inconvenient for everyone else who needs to write all these things down even when it isn't related in the slightest, and I'm not sure that has been considered.

Plus it is only fair to note that you did not ask any questions or otherwise provide some meaningful response to the problems described by OP.
I was responding only to your post, which I quoted and had something to say about. It wasn't a response to the OP.

How would you respond to OP?
I would not respond if I did not know the answer, which is what I did.

ubronan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I had a AOC Q27G2 for abouth a month before I returned it. It was a slow (or average?) VA panel that had a lot of smearing with dark content. But even with games with a lot of different tones and colors it wasn't fast. When I limited the FPS to 60, the gameplay was choppier, but the image was clearer. When at 120fps or above, it was more fluid, but the ghosting was way worse. 100fps was the only point where the ghosting was matching the blur of lower refresh rates while being more fluid.

What confuses me is that every time I try to search this, the only results are about how higher refresh rates reduce ghosting because it drives the pixels harder, etc. The best that I could find is Monitors Unboxed saying that when a lot of the tones have a slow response time below the refresh window, you don't get benefits of higher refresh and get ghosting similar to lower refresh rates. But I'm certain I was getting LESS ghosting at 60hz than at 120 and 144.

Can some help and clarify this for me? I would greatly appreciate it.
The main question is what kinda graphics card did you use but this is really a complex situation
You send the monitor back so no testing can be done by the looks at that monitor it actually is build for 1440p and i saw no negative posts about this monitor yet.
This might have been a defective monitor but it all depends on more than just the gpu and or other hardware so without some details it is all guess work.

Ralston18

Titan
@Glenwing

Pixel ovedrive setting.

https://www.technewstoday.com/overd...get,does not let a pixel faintly change color.

That information may prove useful to the OP or to someone with similar monitor problems who subsequently finds this thread.

= = = =

I also found the OP's monitor's User Manual:

https://aoc.com/us/gaming/products/monitors/27g2/downloads

There is indeed an Overdrive configuration option and settings listed on physically numbered Pages 22 and 23.

Described as "Adjust the response time". Five options: Weak, Medium, Stong, Boost, Off.

Making a change there may have or may not have solved the problem. Or may be tied into the many other setting options listed.

If the problem continued, then other possiblities would need to be addressed.

I ask questions simply because there needs to be some starting point and some sense of the overall computer configuration and environment.