[SOLVED] Can a unbranded 350W psu handle R7 260x?

stormman34

Honorable
Dec 17, 2018
So my friend wanted to upgrade his PC, but he doesn't have a lot of money so everything has to be older and second hand. So here's the question, could this psu possibly handle this config? (PcPartPicker says that it could handle the wattage but I don't know much about psus so that's why I'm asking):
  • AMD Phenom II X4 955
  • msi Radeon R7 260x OC V1 2GB GDDR5 (128 Bit) (I want to use molex to 6pin pcie adapter)
  • ASUS M5A78L/USB3
  • 8GB DDR3 800MHz
  • 200GB SATAII HDD
  • (maybe) Patriot SSD Burst 120GB
  • PATA DVD burner
  • FDD Diskette reader (just for fun)
  • Molex 120mm system fan
  • Nidec 92mm system fan (formerly an AMD cpu cooling fan)
  • Unbranded 350W Switching Power Supply MODEL: ATX-350W P4 (there is no branding anywhere on the psu)
AC INPUT:
230V/50Hz 4A
PLEASE SELECT
RIGHT VOLTAGE

DC OUTPUT (MAX):
+5V+12V+3,3V -12V-5V+5VSB
32A18A28A0,8A0,5A2A

Solution
No. It probably wouldn't have the 6 pin power connector required for a 260X, and even if it did I wouldn't try it.

Moden PCs draw almost all their power from the 12V rail, and that PSU is only capable of 216 W on the 12V rail. So it could be called a ~250W PSU at best.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
No. It probably wouldn't have the 6 pin power connector required for a 260X, and even if it did I wouldn't try it.

Moden PCs draw almost all their power from the 12V rail, and that PSU is only capable of 216 W on the 12V rail. So it could be called a ~250W PSU at best.

Solution

ayazam

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013
i would not run any system with unknown brand PSUs like that
even if the system is a second hand,

at least, get a second-hand quality PSUs with a guarantee still available
a bronze PSUs from SeaSonic, Corsair, BeQuiet, Antec is a much better option from what your friends have

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It'll run, the entire time the pc is sitting idly in Windows, doing nothing but smile at you. Then when you go to play a decent game, grab some dice, the kind with 1x 6dots and 5x 1dot. If the dice come up 'snake-eyes' your psu just blew up.
Then roll the dice again, if you get 'snake-eyes' again, that blown psu just took out the gpu with it.

Long story short, it will blow up. It's not a matter of 'if' but a matter of 'when' and just how much further damage it will cause when it does.

The psu is the single most important component in any pc. It's plugged into and powers everything. If it's bad, the whole pc is at risk. Please don't takes chances.