Question Can an external SSD cause a PC to reboot while gaming ?

RedTommy2

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
Here is the issue:

I have a PC that is maxed out on internal drives and as games get bigger and better, I need more space to store the game files. I researched and purchased an ADATA SE900G 1TB External SSD.

Great now I have space, to play my games, the problem is, after maybe 15 minutes playing the Last of Us part 1 remastered, my screen goes blue and my system restarted. Never happened before prior to the purchase of the SSD.

Second issue that may be connected, while the SSD was plugged in, I played Baldurs Gater 3 which the game files are not located on of the SSD but on the space provide in my machine, and bam about 20 minutes in same blue screen and restart. (Only happened once)

Now I thought power issue, but prior to using the SSD drive, I have had zero issue running the games. The only thing is I could not have them installed at the same time because my machine could not upgrade anymore for more space.

So what is going on with my machine? I have been researching and I am worried that I have been putting my machine to sleep and then unplugging the SSD drive and that has somehow damage both my system and my external drive. Or maybe I have game files trying to run from two different locations and my computer says what the fuck man I don't know where to go and restarts.

Anybody that could help me troubleshoot this issue? As I said before no issue running these games at full max graphics prior to ssd drive, hence the deduction that ssd drive must be the culprit.

First things first:
1) Go into Device Manager and right-click each of the USB Root Hub and other USB options under the heading Universal Serial Bus controllers. Choose Properties, then click on the Power Management tab, uncheck the box titled Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

RedTommy2

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
First things first:
1) Go into Device Manager and right-click each of the USB Root Hub and other USB options under the heading Universal Serial Bus controllers. Choose Properties, then click on the Power Management tab, uncheck the box titled Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Thank you for your response! Could please explain how this action will help running a game while using the ssd. I have very limited knowledge on how an external ssd helps run a game. Thank you for you advice

Thank you for your response! Could please explain how this action will help running a game while using the ssd. I have very limited knowledge on how an external ssd helps run a game. Thank you for you advice
The computer may be pulling files from the SSD intermittently and if its long enough it will put the SSD to sleep that is connected via USB to save power hence why I suggested disabling the USB option.

Nov 30, 2023
there is a deference that you plug in USB on your front panel of cage or bace panel of MB
i had several failares when try to plug usb devices on case that windows can not read and mark unknow device or windows can read at first and after fewer mimutes trouble comes
windows will read any storage device that connetted on MB or with USB,if there is some fail on reading then you will have chance to meet blue screen
by the way i dont like adata, its products are so eazy to get high temp, specially for ssd, it is fatal problem. so back to your trouble. i guess it is the high temp makes your ssd get worse and worse even can not be recognized by system
20 mimutes afte you having pluged in your ssd, the tempreture will get higher and higher (usually 1T ssd is easy to get more temp than 512 SSD) , if you touch the ssd and feel burnning, that means your ssd is probablly near the trouble
al last sorry for my bad english hope you can understand

RedTommy2

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
The computer may be pulling files from the SSD intermittently and if its long enough it will put the SSD to sleep that is connected via USB to save power hence why I suggested disabling the USB option.
So if I comprehend this, when a game hits a new area and needs to pull from the files in my ssd drive, it registers it as asleep and reboots my machine because it was angry? I definitely will try this out.
there is a deference that you plug in USB on your front panel of cage or bace panel of MB
i had several failares when try to plug usb devices on case that windows can not read and mark unknow device or windows can read at first and after fewer mimutes trouble comes
windows will read any storage device that connetted on MB or with USB,if there is some fail on reading then you will have chance to meet blue screen
by the way i dont like adata, its products are so eazy to get high temp, specially for ssd, it is fatal problem. so back to your trouble. i guess it is the high temp makes your ssd get worse and worse even can not be recognized by system
20 mimutes afte you having pluged in your ssd, the tempreture will get higher and higher (usually 1T ssd is easy to get more temp than 512 SSD) , if you touch the ssd and feel burnning, that means your ssd is probablly near the trouble
al last sorry for my bad english hope you can understand
so what is the solution? Find and ssd drive that is designed for gaming?

Nov 30, 2023
1 you had better use back penal USB slot of your PC to play a mobile drive
2 make sure that your drive is work within 20-70 centigrade
3 make suer that your drive is health withno any data writen on a corrupted adress whic may cause your pc hard to read even cause blue or restart