Can Anybody help figure out why my games are crashing

May 1, 2018
This problem has been going on for about a year now and i have upgraded all my parts apart from the motherboard and the hard drive. None of the upgrades did anything to help the performance of the games/stop them crashing. all of my driver are up to date. For instance when i try to play a game it would start to freeze for about 5 times then would crash after.

my specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
CPU: FX-8350 (base clock)
Memory: 4 x 4Gb (2 stick of the memory are ballistix and the other 2 are a pair of ebay)
GPU: AMD radeon R9 390
PSU: EVGA 750GQ

it would be a large help if you could help me find out what problem i am having

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Based on your specs without knowing what games you are playing, looks to me like you might have some issues with hardware. For starters, you need more than 4Gb of ram, i would suggest no less than 8 for 64bit windows and any kind of gaming. I have never used any of the R series amd Gpu's, but i did have a friend who had one and he had alot of issues with overheating. Get some software that can show you system temps and run some benchmarks, see what temps you are getting. Other than that i cant see any reason why the games are freezing without more information. What hard drives do you have, what settings are you running the games at, what resolution are you playing at. All of these things go into account when gaming.

May 1, 2018

also to clarify i dont have 4gb of ram i have 16gb but i have two different pairs of ram stick
it's mainly in Fortnite that the freezing happens but in CSGO it's only the game crashing i play Fortnite at 1080p far view distance, no shadows, no anti-aliasing, medium textures, medium effects and low post-processing

in CSGO i play maxed settings at 4K 60fps
For the temperature idle i get around 30-50 degrees under stress it goes up to the 90s and possibly the hundreds however when i tried to lower the power control i got about 70-80 degrees but it would still crash(this is on the GPU)

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Ouch.....it sounds like the R9 is having heat issues. Anything above 80 on either a cpu or gpu is too hot, 80C already being 176F. Above that you are going to start running into weird issues with graphics and crashing because the gpu is either trying to throttle down to cool itself off, or its getting so hot that it starts crashing.

Are your cpu temps under control? Motherboard well ventilated to prevent VRM from overheating?

Do you have another PSU of sufficient wattage so we can rule that out?

Try dropping to a single set of matched RAM sticks, and checking for stability with just 8 GB of RAM.....then retest iwth other sticks instead, then try 4 (typically, must run with reduced RAM speeds/looser timings with 4 modules)

Another possibility is that some motherboards were incapable of supplying the full (approximately) 75 watts of power thru the PCI-e graphics slot that some cards require.....in which case it might be unfixable wiht that GPU and that MB...

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Yes, i wouldnt know of any way to keep that thing cool without sticking an ac unit in your computer. haha jk. But in all seriousness, just depends on what you want to spend. Best cards right now are going to be Gtx 980, Gtx980Ti, Gtx 1060, Gtx 1070, Gtx 1080 and the Gtx 1080Ti. I would look at any of those.

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

He said his Gpu is going up to 90-100C. Thats like running an engine without a radiator, and all of the R series from amd had heat issue. Nothing to do with a psu.

May 1, 2018
The case i have is a NZXT H440 three 120mm front fans and a back 140mm fan. The cpu temps are between 20-30 degrees stressed they are about 40
Also i am thinking of getting a msi x470 motherboard with new ram and cpu would that be a waste or would it help or should i just go with the fact that it is probably just the gpu overheating.

Isolating the problem:

Make sure your graphics card is in the x16 slot.

What are the 2 random memory sticks off of E-Bay? You may have crashes here when pushed R/T the different memories not playing nice. In theory the MB should be able to set memory to lowest common configuration. In practice matched memory still recommended for compatability. Try pulling the off-brand memory.

Cooling always suspect with the FX-8xxx chips R/T VRM inadequacies or VRM cooling issues. These chips draw a lot of power. You can always try putting the computer out where it can breathe, take off the side panel, and try running a big box fan into the case. Terrible for dust, but the large amounts of airflow should help you test that.

Have you looked at your event viewer to check if any particular common events showing up upon failures?

May 1, 2018
Sorry this wont be much of a help but the gpu is in the right x16 slot and as for the 2 ram sticks i honestly couldn't tell they don't have anyway of telling what they are. For the logs as to why the game is supposedly crashing its the UE4-Athena crash message normally.

also don't now if this helps but the ram is running at different frequency for example the ballistix is running at 800 Mhz whereas the ebay ones are running at 600 Mhz