[SOLVED] Can anyone help me figure out why I cant run xmp without my bios POSTing ?

Nov 10, 2020
As per the title, I've been trying to get my G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 16GTZ Kit 3200 CL14 to reach its potential to 3200mhz from the default 2133mhz without success for the past month or so.
its not a new pc build however xmp never worked. I had default settings for almost everything apart wol and pwm function. clearing cmos made no change.
I have two of these kits (4x8gb = 32gb in total).
When I set the XMP profile the black screen of death appears and nothing is working until I restart 10-15 times to POSTed bios.
Tried it manually as well only to have it work once. After the system shut down and booted the next day, the black screen reappeared.
CPU-z shows the same profile settings I've been putting 34-14-14-14 and 1.350v as the profile suggests with no success.
I tried bumping up the voltage to 1.400 with same results.
Some screenshots
View: https://i.imgur.com/a8jXbBt.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/dEQ4zR4.png

Thank you all for your input.

Solution
What CPU do you have on that motherboard.
i5's support slower RAM speeds than i7's or above on most MB's.

And looking at the Memory QVL for your MB the highest speed they tested with 64 GB RAM is 3000.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_RANGER/M8R_DRAM_QVL_20160411.pdf

So I would try setting XMP BUT then change the DRAM/Memory Frequency to 3000 or even 2800 (which is more likely to work) and see if it posts.
If it doesn't try XMP with 2666 Memory Frequency and keep lowering the frequency until it POSTs.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
By "two of these kits" do you mean you purchased (2) 4x8=32GB kits OR that you purchased (2) 2x8=16GB kits that you are using together?

Have you tried taking the original packaged 2x kit and using just 16GB to see if it will boot at XMP speed?
Checked mobo QVL for the kit in question?
Checked mobo documentation to see what the mobo can actually run with 4x RAM installed?

Reactions: stocis
Nov 10, 2020
Hi thank you for your reply.
As mentioned in my post i have the 2x8gb kit times two. So the latter to what you are asking.
I have not tried to use xmp on one kit as I have no idea which is which. How can I know? I also dont know what QVL is.. sorry for my noobness.
My motherboard is the Asus Maximus VIII Ranger with the latest bios fw.

First of all,
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

The ram support says:
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
** Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.

I don't know what the hyper dimm qualification means.
I think you will have to overclock the ram yourself to get it to work.
You will likely need to specify higher than 1;35v to overcome the unmatched differences in the kits.

Nov 10, 2020
Thanks, but I already did that.
XMP support does not work as I report above (black screen).
I'm just asking for guidance as to how to do it manually.
I tried bumping up the voltage to 1.400 with same results (black screen)
My question is what should I try doing for a successful boot and stability for the RAM I bought.
More voltage? 1.450v?
Different Latency / Frequency ?
Should I RMA (since G.Skill are providing a lifetime guarantee) and try with a different set?
Any chance I can get my money back ?

Thanks, but I already did that.
XMP support does not work as I report above (black screen).
I'm just asking for guidance as to how to do it manually.
I tried bumping up the voltage to 1.400 with same results (black screen)
My question is what should I try doing for a successful boot and stability for the RAM I bought.
More voltage? 1.450v?
Different Latency / Frequency ?
Should I RMA (since G.Skill are providing a lifetime guarantee) and try with a different set?
Any chance I can get my money back ?
As you can see from this page of the GSkill configurator
these are the kits (4 x 8 Gb) with the highest speed supposed to work with your motherboard.
They are 2800 Mhz and I would try 16-16-16-36 as latencies. You can probably enter this manually in the Bios settings

Nov 10, 2020
As you can see from this page of the GSkill configurator
these are the kits (4 x 8 Gb) with the highest speed supposed to work with your motherboard.
They are 2800 Mhz and I would try 16-16-16-36 as latencies. You can probably enter this manually in the Bios settings

I don't really follow what you're saying here. I have the 3200mhz 2x8gb kit times 2. Meaning I bought two kits not 1 kit 4x8gb.
The kits shown on the page are nowhere near the ones I've got.
Unless you're saying that the maximum speed I can get to is 2800, because my motherboard supports up to that??

Contact g.skil support.
If there is any way to make it work, they will guide you.

Test your ram at stock speeds with memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

The return question needs to be addressed to where you bought it.
I did the memtest everything all sticks passed with no errors.

Since memtest86 passes with all 4 sticks, consider yourself a bit lucky to get disparate sticks all working at default.
To work properly, ram must be matched.
I think likely there are enough differences internally to keep you from running faster.

Best to consult with the g.skil experts who know a bit more about their products.

This all may not matter much.
You are not losing significant performance running at 2133 speed vs. 3200 speed.
Here is an older study comparing the benefits of various ddr4 speeds.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What CPU do you have on that motherboard.
i5's support slower RAM speeds than i7's or above on most MB's.

And looking at the Memory QVL for your MB the highest speed they tested with 64 GB RAM is 3000.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_RANGER/M8R_DRAM_QVL_20160411.pdf

So I would try setting XMP BUT then change the DRAM/Memory Frequency to 3000 or even 2800 (which is more likely to work) and see if it posts.
If it doesn't try XMP with 2666 Memory Frequency and keep lowering the frequency until it POSTs.

Solution
Nov 10, 2020
Thank you DMAN999, for your reply.
My CPU is the i7 6700k currently running at default settings of 4.000Ghz
My total ram are 32gb (4x8GB) so I my question is if 32 instead of 64 would make any difference in terms of what you're saying.
I'll try what you're suggesting and revert with feedback. Thank you

Nov 10, 2020
Since memtest86 passes with all 4 sticks, consider yourself a bit lucky to get disparate sticks all working at default.
To work properly, ram must be matched.
I think likely there are enough differences internally to keep you from running faster.

Best to consult with the g.skil experts who know a bit more about their products.

This all may not matter much.
You are not losing significant performance running at 2133 speed vs. 3200 speed.
Here is an older study comparing the benefits of various ddr4 speeds.

I get that and I understand what you're saying completely. But the ram are matched, meaning that they're identical kits bought and fitted.
I also get that 2133 would not make much of a difference when on their optimal speeds, but you know, at the end of the day, I wanna get what I paid for.
In any case, I was wondering if there's a solution to that or if I'd have to result in default 2133mhz and get on with it.