Question Can anyone help? PC won't boot after power interruption

vellnueve

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
I was playing some games on my gaming PC yesterday when my cat stepped on the power switch to the surge protector, killing it and turning it back on in the span of about 0.25s.
Since that moment the PC has refused to boot past the ASUS splash screen.
I can get into the BIOS fine and it recognizes the memory and the CPU. the motherboard has no graphics but the Radeon 6900XT seems to be running fine in BIOS and attempting startup.
What happens when I try to boot is I get the post message where you can enter BIOS and then just the ASUS logo with the spinning windows loading circle that ends up never ending. It doesn't freeze, it doesn't go back, it just sits there spinning for over 45 minutes before I get sick of it and restart.
Attempting to get to the automatic recovery feature does not work, it tells me it is starting automatic recovery but the wheel spins just the same.
I can't even boot it up using recovery media or a OEM Windows 11 bootable USB installation drive.
I replaced the motherboard this afternoon assuming it was the likely culprit, but the new motherboard does exactly the same thing. I have swapped out both SSDs with separate bootable SSDs with no changes. I have tried each RAM stick individually and then bought two new RAM sticks, with no changes.
At this point the only components that haven't been replaced are the CPU and the Radeon 6900XT.
I tried switching the power supply with an old EVGA Supernova 750 and nothing changed.
I suppose the CPU could also be bad but I figure none of this would even run without the CPU being functional, but at this point I'm assuming that's the next step?

System specs are:
Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII motherboard (replaced today with a Asus B550-Plus no change)
Ryzen 9 5900X with Noctua air cooler64GB G. Skill RAM (replaced with 16GB Corsair RAM but no change)
EVGA Radeon 6900XT video card
EVGA Supernova 850 Gold Plus power supply (replaced with an old EVGA Supernova 750 with no change)
Evo 980 SSDWDD Black SSD(both SSDs were pulled and replaced with a 970 Evo with a Windows 10 install with no change)
Windows 11

the only components that haven't been replaced are the CPU and the Radeon 6900XT
if you have a local computer shop they will usually offer system diagnosis
that should include testing each component individually to find the culprit.

or if anyone in your area that you know has a similar setup
use their system to test your own components.

if you could get this done soon enough and discover what exactly the problem is
you may still be able to return any unnecessary purchases that have been made while troubleshooting.

vellnueve

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
if you have a local computer shop they will usually offer system diagnosis
that should include testing each component individually to find the culprit.

or if anyone in your area that you know has a similar setup
use their system to test your own components.

if you could get this done soon enough and discover what exactly the problem is
you may still be able to return any unnecessary purchases that have been made while troubleshooting.

Thanks, I just looked up and there's a couple of local recommendations. I'm also driving to a couple of areas that have Micro Centers next month and if I haven't resolved it by then I can always try them. I do pride myself on always having been able to work through issues without having to go to a shop so looking for ideas.

I'm not as worried about having unnecessary equipment as much - I can always build a decent backup PC from the parts now that my backup PC is my primary PC (the one I'm typing this from). AM4 and DDR4 may not be cutting edge but the 5900X does everything I need it to do with room left over for more.

I would try using your backup computer to download a fresh Windows 11 iso using the media creation tool and mounting it on a usb that you know for sure is good at least for data using Rufus.ie. Then I would try disconnecting all of the ssds and any other drives and just try booting the new usb. Alternately I would try booting a usb with a linux distro (which I recommend everyone always have for emergencies) and seeing what response I get.

The thing with power interruptions is its not usually the power dropout that causes problems, its the power surge when the power comes back on. If the cat does it again I would first reach for the off switch on the power supply.

vellnueve

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
I would try using your backup computer to download a fresh Windows 11 iso using the media creation tool and mounting it on a usb that you know for sure is good at least for data using Rufus.ie. Then I would try disconnecting all of the ssds and any other drives and just try booting the new usb. Alternately I would try booting a usb with a linux distro (which I recommend everyone always have for emergencies) and seeing what response I get.

The thing with power interruptions is its not usually the power dropout that causes problems, its the power surge when the power comes back on. If the cat does it again I would first reach for the off switch on the power supply.
Already tried the media creation tool and known good USB drive with no SSD mounted, in addition to the factory Windows 11 usb drive.