Question Can anyone identify this noise? CPU/GPU?

Sounds like a fan bearing or fan housing vibration of some kind to me. Since removing the graphics card doesn't resolve the issue it's obviously not that. The Wraith coolers come with relatively cheap Cooler master fans so it wouldn't be the first time we've already seen bearing failures in some of them.

Thing is, just turning off the GPU fans doesn't mean that it couldn't still be related if it's something broken or lose on the fan housing assembly or elsewhere. Might also be the PSU fan and is only taxed when the graphics card is IN the system. I'd use a length of garden hose, funnel, rolled up piece of paper, whatever you need to use to create a sound tunnel and use that to point (As close as safely possible without touching anything) towards each component until you can positively identify which component the sound is coming from. Doing this will usually eliminate all other sounds in the system for the most part and highlight only the sounds coming from the component you are closest to.

This is an old school automotive trick and works equally well for PC noises.

Jan 29, 2021
Thankyou, so I used a piece of paper rolled up as you suggested, located it to the cpu area then whilst changing my cpu fan speed in the bios and I could hear more of a vibrating noise when I selected turbo opposed to standard or silent but the noise is constant but seems to fade when I play Fortnite. However I am also experiencing frame drops from the same time I heard the noise. I know AMD brought out new drivers recently and I installed them but it can’t be that can it?
Soudns confusing sorry but thanks for help

Jan 29, 2021
Thankyou, so I used a piece of paper rolled up as you suggested, located it to the cpu area then whilst changing my cpu fan speed in the bios and I could hear more of a vibrating noise when I selected turbo opposed to standard or silent but the noise is constant but seems to fade when I play Fortnite. However I am also experiencing frame drops from the same time I heard the noise. I know AMD brought out new drivers recently and I installed them but it can’t be that can it?
Soudns confusing sorry but thanks for help
Also may be worth noting CPU temps are around 55-58 whist in bios

Jan 29, 2021

TRENDING THREADS