[SOLVED] Can anyone tell me what component is making this annoying noise?

sir_squab7

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
Here is a video on the noise: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/FJjFo2i
I can only describe it as like wind going through a tube. I know it’s not the fans because I turned them off and still heard the noise. I also unplugged my two hard drives power cables and still heard it. It’s like a pulsating wind even when the fans are off. I also have a good psu, the evga g2 so I’m pretty sure it’s not that. Could it be the ram? It’s louder than it sounds in the video as I can hear it when my headphones are on.

Solution
Coil whine or some other component on a board making that noise possibly. Very hard to track down without a electronic(mechanics) stethoscope or at least everything on a test bench set up so you can inspect a lot easier.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Coil whine or some other component on a board making that noise possibly. Very hard to track down without a electronic(mechanics) stethoscope or at least everything on a test bench set up so you can inspect a lot easier.

Solution

sir_squab7

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
I thought coil whine was supposed to be a lot higher pitch?

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Those coils can make all kinds of weird noises, from the high pitched squeal to dolphin clicky sounds, and so can some capacitors.
From outside the case it is just a guess what it could be.