[SOLVED] Can Bent CPU Pins Affect CPU Frequency and Boost?

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
As the title states, can bent CPU Pins (even though if it's only bent slightly) affect a processor's frequency? Obviously if it is severely bent then worse case scenario surely would be that the PC would not post. But what if the pins are only slight bent (Since in some scenarios, CPU's can still function even though if some of its pins are slightly bent)? Can that affect CPU frequency? Long story short, I had to ask this because I dropped my processor when I first opened it from its box, the processor is the Ryzen 9 5900x (yeah I'm an idiot for dropping it), though it did not drop from a great height, it slipped from my hands and down to the table's surface, I inspected it but didn't see any bent pins, at least with what my eyes saw. Still, it got dropped whatever lol. But the CPU right now is running with no issues, although it is not reaching its boost frequency of 4.7ghz, it's only at 4.2ghz, maybe it's because I dropped it? Though my cooler is 5 years old and it is not really Ryzen compatible, I bought a compatible bracket for it to fit the CPU socket since I did not wanna spend money to buy a new cooler, the cooler is the Corsair Hydro H115i 280mm liquid cooler. Maybe it's also the cooler? Maybe it's just too old and cannot give adequate cooling the 5900x needs to reach its boost frequency?

THANKS!

Solution
As the title states, can bent CPU Pins (even though if it's only bent slightly) affect a processor's frequency? ...

An extremely slight bend won't affect if it's still making contact but even one bent badly enough to not make contact isn't likely to affect the CPU's operating frequency, although it may cause other symptoms. But if bent bad enough and something like one of the (many) ground or core power pins it could affect stability at a given frequency forcing you to settle on a lower frequency if you're overclocking.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
if it is not making contact to the socket, it could cause unknown issue/error

what the cpu temp under load?
Under full load the CPU is throttling and hitting its thermal limit of 90 degrees, I use thermal paste from Deepcool. Well the CPU pins are indeed making contact even though I can't see it for myself, how do I know, because I can use the PC normally.

Reactions: guymarshall
As the title states, can bent CPU Pins (even though if it's only bent slightly) affect a processor's frequency? ...

An extremely slight bend won't affect if it's still making contact but even one bent badly enough to not make contact isn't likely to affect the CPU's operating frequency, although it may cause other symptoms. But if bent bad enough and something like one of the (many) ground or core power pins it could affect stability at a given frequency forcing you to settle on a lower frequency if you're overclocking.

Solution

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Under full load the CPU is throttling and hitting its thermal limit of 90 degrees
There's your problem! Try and repaste the CPU after cleaning off the old paste thoroughly from both the CPU and heatsink base. It looks like the lower clock speed you encountered is just because the processor is trying to save itself. Although that is a powerful CPU, I don't think it should be hitting 90C and throttling with a decent cooling solution.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
There's your problem! Try and repaste the CPU after cleaning off the old paste thoroughly from both the CPU and heatsink base. It looks like the lower clock speed you encountered is just because the processor is trying to save itself. Although that is a powerful CPU, I don't think it should be hitting 90C and throttling with a decent cooling solution.
Repasted it, and it still not hitting the boost frequency of 4.70ghz.

Reactions: guymarshall
What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement?
Where is the H115 mounted?
Do you also have a hot graphics card?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to let it do it's job.
Take a side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards; see if that helps.

How old is the H115?
aio coolers do not last forever. Air will intrude into the system and it will need to be replaced.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement?
Where is the H115 mounted?
Do you also have a hot graphics card?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to let it do it's job.
Take a side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards; see if that helps.

How old is the H115?
aio coolers do not last forever. Air will intrude into the system and it will need to be replaced.
The H115i cooler is turning 4 years old, it's mounted on the top of the case. And yes, the side panel is off, since my GPU is so bulky it won't fit if you put the side panel on. And I have 3 case fans mounted on the front on a push configuration.

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Is 3.7ghz the base frequency or is it the boost? If it sticks on that boost frequency and it stays on that on the "power saving" mode....that's kind of uncanny.
3.7 is the base, it boosts to 4.5 I think! Power saving mode disables the boost, so it stays at 2.0GHz unless a massive load is applied for a long time like a blender render and it slowly climbs to 3.7. Otherwise normal behaviour is it spiking all over the place haha xD