Can I be signed into MSN & Windows Msgr simultaneously (sa..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi, is there a way to stay signed into both MSN Messenger 6.2 and Windows
Messenger 5 both with the SAME Passport account?

What I want to achieve is the ability to type into either program's window
and have the message both come from the same account.

(If anyone is wondering, this is because I prefer MSN but Media Center 2005
uses Windows Messenger as its client, and I don't want to have to keep
signing in every time I watch TV - I want Windows Messenger in Media Center
to already recognise that I am signed in, but when I'm on my PC I can send
messages from MSN Messenger, again without having to specially sign into
that.)
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings,

I'm afraid not, Messenger accounts can presently only be logged into one location (or one
program). I also do agree that the MCE Messenger functionality is a bit limited in this
regard but unfortunately there wasn't much they could do (MSN Messenger doesn't support the
necessary APIs).
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
> Hi, is there a way to stay signed into both MSN Messenger 6.2 and Windows Messenger 5 both
> with the SAME Passport account?
>
> What I want to achieve is the ability to type into either program's window and have the
> message both come from the same account.
>
> (If anyone is wondering, this is because I prefer MSN but Media Center 2005 uses Windows
> Messenger as its client, and I don't want to have to keep signing in every time I watch
> TV - I want Windows Messenger in Media Center to already recognise that I am signed in, but
> when I'm on my PC I can send messages from MSN Messenger, again without having to specially
> sign into that.)
> --
> Thanks.
>
> CJSnet
>
> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Thanks Jonathan.

Any idea if/when Win Msgr will be brought into line with MSN Msgr's
fun-ctionality? I currently have v5.

It's hardly ideal expect MCE users to log in and out of each program as and
when they move to watch telly for half an hour! Even more unrealistic is
having everyone create two Passport profiles, and have all their friends add
them twice to their contacts lists. Seems a ludicrous scenario to me.
--

> Greetings,
>
> I'm afraid not, Messenger accounts can presently only be logged into one
> location (or one program). I also do agree that the MCE Messenger
> functionality is a bit limited in this regard but unfortunately there
> wasn't much they could do (MSN Messenger doesn't support the necessary
> APIs).
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Expert
>
> "CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
>> Hi, is there a way to stay signed into both MSN Messenger 6.2 and Windows
>> Messenger 5 both with the SAME Passport account?
>>
>> What I want to achieve is the ability to type into either program's
>> window and have the message both come from the same account.
>>
>> (If anyone is wondering, this is because I prefer MSN but Media Center
>> 2005 uses Windows Messenger as its client, and I don't want to have to
>> keep signing in every time I watch TV - I want Windows Messenger in Media
>> Center to already recognise that I am signed in, but when I'm on my PC I
>> can send messages from MSN Messenger, again without having to specially
>> sign into that.)
>> --
>> Thanks.
>>
>> CJSnet
>>
>> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,

It's not; the next version of Windows Messenger (codenamed Istanbul) is on a completely
different path than MSN Messenger.

I think the idea here is that you sign into Windows Messenger when you use MCE and then sign
into MSN Messenger when you're done. Obviously not the best scenario but it's the best one
can do.