Question Can I boot from NVME drive on 6th gen i5 cpu with NVME to PCIE adapter

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
I have i5 6400, msi b150m mobo. Is it possible to boot from an and use os from an NVME drive with an NVME to PCIE adapter card like this one.

USAFRet

Titan
I have i5 6400, msi b150m mobo. Is it possible to boot from an and use os from an NVME drive with an NVME to PCIE adapter card like this one.
Maybe, maybe not.
There is no 100% Yes or No.

What is this system used for?
In an older system like that, the "speed" of an NVMe drive is usually not seen.

There are 2 PCIe slots on that.
Do you have a GPU in the 3.0 x16 slot?
If so, that NVMe adapted can only go in the 3.0 x1 slot, seriously hampering any expected performance from a speedy NVMe drive.

Bottom line....don't bother.

I am doing exactly that, with a 6600K.

No issues. I'm using an AsRock motherboard.

Don't know how it would work on your MSI, but my guess would be that if the board supports booting from NVMe in the NVMe port, it would support booting from the NVMe attached to an adapter.

USAFRet

Titan
I am doing exactly that, with a 6600K.

No issues. I'm using an AsRock motherboard.

Don't know how it would work on your MSI, but my guess would be that if the board supports booting from NVMe in the NVMe port, it would support booting from the NVMe attached to an adapter.
There is no NVMe capable port on that.
The M.2 port is SATA only.

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
Maybe, maybe not.

If so, that NVMe adapted can only go in the 3.0 x1 slot, seriously hampering any expected performance from a speedy NVMe drive.

Mainly 3d work and playing games. There are 2 x16 slots, the gpu is in one and the other one is free

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
Maybe, maybe not.

I should mention, the motherboard has no m.2 connector

USAFRet

Titan
Mainly 3d work and playing games. There are 2 x16 slots, the gpu is in one and the other one is free
Is this your motherboard?

--------------------------
Slots
• 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot
• 2 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
---------------------------

In a game situation, unlikely you'd see any difference vs a regular SATA III SSD.
And your 3D work is almost entirely in the CPU/RAM. Storage has little or nothing to do with it.

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
Is this your motherboard?

--------------------------
Slots
• 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot
• 2 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
---------------------------

In a game situation, unlikely you'd see any difference vs a regular SATA III SSD.
And your 3D work is almost entirely in the CPU/RAM. Storage has little or nothing to do with it.
Mine is the b150m night elf version. I know that regular sata ssds are fine, but if the nvme drive did work, it will be nice to get faster speeds

USAFRet

Titan
Mine is the b150m night elf version. I know that regular sata ssds are fine, but if the nvme drive did work, it will be nice to get faster speeds
And still, in your use case, it is unlikely you'd see any 'faster speed' with this as the OS drive.

And the only way it would work is if there is a specific BIOS update than enables this.
Having no native M.2 port, that was absolutely NOT included upon release.

You can add it as a secondary drive no problem, and use it for games or 3D work.
Just not as the OS drive.

D

Deleted member 2838871

No idea.

I use this... Sabrent 4-drive NVME to PCIE 3.0 x4 Adapter card

It works great giving me 4 more m.2 drives to go with the 4 on the board... but I don't boot from it.

You can add it as a secondary drive no problem, and use it for games or 3D work.
Just not as the OS drive.

That would be my answer too.

Reactions: Foyezes

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
I have a question about these adapters.

My only free M2 slot (on one of my mobos) is underneath a video card. It is notoriously hard to get out. In fact, I have already broken a piece off the latch. I would just rather leave the video card in at this point.

Could I buy an M2 and slot it into one of those Pcie adapters (and plug it into a free PCIE slot) and will I get the same speeds I would normally get (as if it was plugged directly into the m2 slot thing)?

USAFRet

Titan

My only free M2 slot (on one of my mobos) is underneath a video card. It is notoriously hard to get out. In fact, I have already broken a piece off the latch. I would just rather leave the video card in at this point.

Could I buy an M2 and slot it into one of those Pcie adapters (and plug it into a free PCIE slot) and will I get the same speeds I would normally get (as if it was plugged directly into the m2 slot thing)?
Rather than hijacking this thread for a very different situation and parts, please start your own thread.
Send me the link, and I'll jump in.

I think the PCIe adapters vary.............some are known compatible with PCIe 3.0. I haven't checked, but I'd assume some are compatible with PCIe 4.0.

I have a 3.0 adapter and I get anticipated speeds from a PCIe 3.0 drive.

But I wouldn't expect a 3.0 drive to perform at 4.0 speeds if attached to a 4.0 adapter.