[SOLVED] Can I boot from the M.2 slot on my mobo?

May 1, 2020
I am planning on upgrading my PC again , this time I am in need of a better GPU and I have never had an SSD so I've been looking into different SSDs recently. I really like the look of the WD Blue SN550 PCIe NVMe SSD and I found some things said about old motherboards not supporting booting from the M.2 slot and I'm a little confused surrounding that subject. I have a Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H with an I7 7700k. This here is the site that I looked at to check the information about my motherboard, I'm not PC illiterate, I built my second PC and my brothers, from my searching I think I can boot from it but motherboards is new territory for me (I don't know anything about chipsets) and I was looking for some clarification. If i can't boot from my M.2 slot then I'll just get a Samsung 860 EVO, I'm definitely want to boot from my SSD and smack a few games on there (like that new assassins creed announced in the past few days), I wouldn't mind seeing recommendations of SSDs if you guys have any either.

Solution
I am planning on upgrading my PC again , this time I am in need of a better GPU and I have never had an SSD so I've been looking into different SSDs recently. I really like the look of the WD Blue SN550 PCIe NVMe SSD and I found some things said about old motherboards not supporting booting from the M.2 slot and I'm a little confused surrounding that subject. I have a Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H with an I7 7700k. This here is the site that I looked at to check the information about my motherboard, I'm not PC illiterate, I built my second PC and my brothers, from my searching I think I can boot from it but motherboards is new territory for me (I don't know anything about chipsets) and I was looking for some clarification...

kanewolf

Titan
I am planning on upgrading my PC again , this time I am in need of a better GPU and I have never had an SSD so I've been looking into different SSDs recently. I really like the look of the WD Blue SN550 PCIe NVMe SSD and I found some things said about old motherboards not supporting booting from the M.2 slot and I'm a little confused surrounding that subject. I have a Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H with an I7 7700k. This here is the site that I looked at to check the information about my motherboard, I'm not PC illiterate, I built my second PC and my brothers, from my searching I think I can boot from it but motherboards is new territory for me (I don't know anything about chipsets) and I was looking for some clarification. If i can't boot from my M.2 slot then I'll just get a Samsung 860 EVO, I'm definitely want to boot from my SSD and smack a few games on there (like that new assassins creed announced in the past few days), I wouldn't mind seeing recommendations of SSDs if you guys have any either.
Old motherboards in this case means Z87 or Z97. All the three digit motherboard models boot just fine from M.2

Reactions: Chibbs19
Solution