[SOLVED] can i boot up a new pc build with a hard drive that already has windows installed?

Dec 20, 2019
Ive recently been looking into buying some high end pc parts to make a brand new pc and i was wondering, could i use the hard drive that already has windows installed to boot up from the bios screen?

Solution
Ive recently been looking into buying some high end pc parts to make a brand new pc and i was wondering, could i use the hard drive that already has windows installed to boot up from the bios screen?
3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine.
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

With all new hardware, a clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.

And you don't want to be carrying years worth of old gunk over into a new "high end pc" anyway.
You have a 50% chance that might work.
To help with your odds, before removing the hard drive from the old PC, uninstall all drivers related to the hardware on the old PC (video, sound, network, etc).

USAFRet

Titan
3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine.
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

With all new hardware, a clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.

And you don't want to be carrying years worth of old gunk over into a new "high end pc" anyway.

Solution