[SOLVED] Can i build in a 3200 DDR4 Ram in a MSI H410-M Pro?

Apr 30, 2021
I have a MSI H410-M Pro Motherboard (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H410M-PRO)
It supports DDR4 RAM up to 2933 MHZ.

Currently I have 2666 Mhz DDR4-Ram.

That might be a foolish question, but I have no idea how that works:
Can I buy a 3200 Mhz DDR4 Ram for that Motherboard and will it use then 2933 MHZ of those 3200, or will that not work at all (or be a very stupid Idea)?

Best regards,
Wombyte

Solution
Memory can have multiple automatic Jedec (standard memory speeds) and XMP. Difficult to know if memory has two XMP profiles before buying but a lot do, ie 3200 ram can have an additional XMP profile for 3000/2933.

XMP is just a memory preset the motherboard identifies from the memory module itself (imbedded), understands and sets the speed, timings and voltage automatically. If ram didn't have 3000 or 2933 profile and only 3200, you'd set the parameters manually. Ie Freq 2933, Dram 1.35v, and Cas numbers entered under primary timings table.

Since you're not running a Z board capable of higher memory speeds above MC, ram is limited to the CPU's memory controller. This info will be available at Intel's website for the particular...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Memory can have multiple automatic Jedec (standard memory speeds) and XMP. Difficult to know if memory has two XMP profiles before buying but a lot do, ie 3200 ram can have an additional XMP profile for 3000/2933.

XMP is just a memory preset the motherboard identifies from the memory module itself (imbedded), understands and sets the speed, timings and voltage automatically. If ram didn't have 3000 or 2933 profile and only 3200, you'd set the parameters manually. Ie Freq 2933, Dram 1.35v, and Cas numbers entered under primary timings table.

Since you're not running a Z board capable of higher memory speeds above MC, ram is limited to the CPU's memory controller. This info will be available at Intel's website for the particular processor. In saying that, id go for 2933 ram instead unless you're planning to use ram at 3200 eventually. But honestly, performance differences between the two speeds is on the level of a peanut.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 30, 2021

Since you're not running a Z board capable of higher memory speeds above MC, ram is limited to the CPU's memory controller. This info will be available at Intel's website for the particular processor. In saying that, id go for 2933 ram instead unless you're planning to use ram at 3200 eventually. But honestly, performance differences between the two speeds is on the level of a peanut.
I have the Intel i3 10100 CPU.
Can you tell me what the CPU's memory controller of my CPU is?

Apr 30, 2021
i see, thanks both of u!
So than for know my 2600 ram is fine for the i3 10100 and if i upgrade the cpu in the future, i can use up to 2933 ram.
Thanks!