[SOLVED] Can I buy a cheap GPU only to have my monitors run from it?

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I'm running 3 Monitors+ a VR headset which is 4 Display ports in total.

List of the Monitors:
Monitor 1: Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 27'' WQHD 165Hz
Monitor 2: Asus MG278Q 27'' WQHD 144Hz
Monitor 3: AOC G2460PF 24'' FHD 144Hz
+VR headset that uses a Displayport

My current Graphics card has 3 DisplayPorts and 1 HDMI 2.1 however if I plug one of the monitors to the hdmi 2.1 port it runs at 60Hz.
I was wondering if it's possible for me to run all the displays at their native refresh rates which is why I wanted to ask,

Is it possible to get a cheap gpu, put it in the second PCI-E slot and just use it to run the Second and Third monitor from?
If so how does it work? Mainly concerned about the drivers conflicting with the primary GPU.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I just plugged the AOC monitor through HDMI again using another cable but its still stuck at 60Hz I went into Display Adapter settings and the max it allows me to choose is 60Hz. Do I need some special HDMI cable for this?

No. The pinouts are no different from a 1.1 spec HDMI cable to the 2.0 and 2.1 cables. If it can't support the resolution, you'll just get a black screen.

NVDesktop and NVView should allow you to see all the monitors and adjust them that way.

This might possibly be a limitation of the video card output circuitry itself. This is one I would promote up to NVIDIA tech support if NVDesktop doesn't work for you. They would know the specifics of what's supported in Multi monitor better than me.

I assume you...
Yes you can run multiple cards from multiple monitors. However I have not done this personally. I have only heard of others doing it. So do more research before you take my word on it.

That said Monitors typically include HDMI inputs. You can run 3 DP (VR, Monitor 1, 2) and 1 HDMI (Monitor 3) no problem off a single card. Run the AOC on the HDMI connection. It is limited to 144Hz on 2560x1440.

It is NOT uncommon for graphics cards to ramp their clocks and voltage when more than 1 display is connected. This is because of output circuitry & RAM timings when dealing with multiple monitors. Thus your GPU will always be a source of noise and heat even when idle on desktop.

Reactions: Flame1

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Yes you can run multiple cards from multiple monitors. However I have not done this personally. I have only heard of others doing it. So do more research before you take my word on it.

That said Monitors typically include HDMI inputs. You can run 3 DP (VR, Monitor 1, 2) and 1 HDMI (Monitor 3) no problem off a single card. Run the AOC on the HDMI connection. It is limited to 144Hz on 2560x1440.

It is NOT uncommon for graphics cards to ramp their clocks and voltage when more than 1 display is connected. This is because of output circuitry & RAM timings when dealing with multiple monitors. Thus your GPU will always be a source of noise and heat even when idle on desktop.
it could be your hdmi cable

I just plugged the AOC monitor through HDMI again using another cable but its still stuck at 60Hz I went into Display Adapter settings and the max it allows me to choose is 60Hz. Do I need some special HDMI cable for this?

No. The pinouts are no different from a 1.1 spec HDMI cable to the 2.0 and 2.1 cables. If it can't support the resolution, you'll just get a black screen.

NVDesktop and NVView should allow you to see all the monitors and adjust them that way.

This might possibly be a limitation of the video card output circuitry itself. This is one I would promote up to NVIDIA tech support if NVDesktop doesn't work for you. They would know the specifics of what's supported in Multi monitor better than me.

I assume you want to use all 3 for gaming at the same time?

Reactions: Flame1
Solution

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017

I only use my main monitor for gaming however I use all 3 displays a lot for many different things and moving my mouse over to the one thats running at 60Hz just feels really bad, the difference is very noticeable.
I don't want to resort to having to unplug one of the displays to plug in the vrheadset, with my current setup it's not ideal to do that.
I just sent a ticket to Nvidia support as you suggested, I'll update on what they say.

I'm not really familiar with what NVdesktop and NVView are when I search either of those on google I get random results.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017

Alright issue resolved, when I plugged one of my 1440p monitors via hdmi to the hdmi 2.1 Port it owrks flawlessly at 144Hz 1440p. It's just that AOC Monitor that for some reason doesnt work with high refresh rate via HDMI.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

TRENDING THREADS