Question Can I change my CPU on my laptop?

Jun 16, 2019
Im using a Lenovo Y520 currently and my CPU (Intel(R) HD Graphics 630) is bottlenecking my GPU (AMD Radeon(TM) RX 560, Can someone tell me if its possible change my CPU or not? Sincerely, Sky

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

CPU (Intel(R) HD Graphics 630)
Just to clarify, this is the integrated graphics of your CPU, not the CPU model itself.

is bottlenecking my GPU
In what way do you know this - bottlenecking is an overused and misleading term, as "bottlenecks" are completely application dependant.

Lastly, is this the Laptop Y520 or the Desktop PC Y520 as it technically comes in both forms?
Because I'm fairly certain that every Y520 laptop model are soldered CPUs so are non-upgradable. Desktop is different.

Jun 16, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Just to clarify, this is the integrated graphics of your CPU, not the CPU model itself.

In what way do you know this - bottlenecking is an overused and misleading term, as "bottlenecks" are completely application dependant.

Lastly, is this the Laptop Y520 or the Desktop PC Y520 as it technically comes in both forms?
Because I'm fairly certain that every Y520 laptop model are soldered CPUs so are non-upgradable. Desktop is different.
I say bottlenecking as like my CPU is having a hard time computing everything so my GPU can't do much until its done. Also its the Laptop version of the Lenovo Y520, and thanks for the clarification

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I say bottlenecking as like my CPU is having a hard time computing everything so my GPU can't do much until its done. Also its the Laptop version of the Lenovo Y520, and thanks for the clarification
Well it's just bottlenecking is completely dependant on the application.

If you run CPU intensive applications, then your CPU may bottleneck.
If you run GPU intensive applications, then your GPU may bottleneck.

What is your exact model number of Y520 so I can look it up?