Question Can I connect 4 120mm ARGB Fans to 1 Fan Speed Header and 1 ARGB Header?

PowerJayz

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Hello everyone,

These might be a simple questions but,

I am changing my current PC case and all its case fans soon,

Now I have 2 questions before I commit to buying the case and fans these are,

Can I connect 4 120mm ARGB fans to only 1 motherboard fan speed header?

Can I also connect these 4 ARGB fans to only 1 motherboard ARGB header?

Thank you for your time and help.

PowerJayz

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Thank you for the reply.

I have had a few bad experiences with fan hubs but I understand your point.

Do you think the Thermalright Fan and ARGB HUB×8,ARGB/PWM Hub Controller would be sufficient to power and control the 4 120mm ARGB fans?

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Why would you want to?

Not a fan of glorified "PC disco lights" as would rather more power.

But ARGB tend to take 5v a piece. If you check your motherboards manual it should tell you how much the connectors can take, and it they can be "daisied".

Few older boards can.

PowerJayz

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Thank you for the advice, mainly use the argb lights to give a touch of orange and white because my motherboard and CPU cooler have orange painted accents, rainbow is a bit much. :)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Simple answer to your questions: Yes, you can do this. We'll look at the power limits in detail.

For the fan MOTORS, the mobo manual says each fan header can provide up to 1.0 A current max. Bear in mind that you will plug your CPU cooler of whatever type into the CPU_FAN header, and NOT into a CHA_FAN header with case vent fans. The fans you specify have a spec of max 0.20 A current consumption, so 4 of these on one header can draw at most 0.8 A. NO problem.

The fan specs do not tell us their LIGHTING current requirements, but a common ARGB-fitted fan might use up to 0.5 A current, VERY likely less. The mobo header specs do not say their current max (they specify in terms of LED count with an oddly high number), but it is likely of the order of 3 to 5 A. So again NO problem.

You can use a Splitter for each function and do not need a HUB. There's an important difference, and many sellers use the wrong labels. A SPLITTER has only two types of connections: one with a female connector that goes to a mobo fan header, and several with male pins where you plug in fans. A HUB has those PLUS a third connection that MUST connect to a SATA power output from the PSU. You don't need that.

A SPLITTER for MOTORS can look like this little circuit board

https://www.amazon.com/ThreeBulls-Cooling-Splitter-Adapter-Computer/dp/B07M5P7VHG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=IBOZMM53FPT6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.RIe0_ceToDT3fDg7nh4HA9t2OSw7wwyUL3ouhfDVUbY6XAaUVcm2fptCtJYUsLURbjzfdQ-NrLBvzSOtWMv0lpNR-B4i-woaCkolH54358PK5lok3xQ1FELno4hm_uhiTbi8x-nOwCEI2K_0egUlhXytuoljg8ePnGnK-F-3Jzd_ySRAm-M0JdZAmYGpGrJ3MULiDiXWDr0Bh1QRzrjheZtar0bijRMhZLerRN07RBs.qYo9dtS9X6p9f7X_Qpex3T1p2KKLg8zlhSvlVi0CScM&dib_tag=se&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1721793661&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,96&sr=8-6

You need to mount this so its connection and wires do not short to Ground. You do NOT need to plug the actual CPU cooler into the one output marked CPU. But you MUST plug a fan into that so it can send a speed signal to the host header.

OR it might look like this collection of arms

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-PWM-Fan-Splitter-Cable/dp/B09WZRQ5YV/ref=sr_1_13?crid=IBOZMM53FPT6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.RIe0_ceToDT3fDg7nh4HA9t2OSw7wwyUL3ouhfDVUbY6XAaUVcm2fptCtJYUsLURbjzfdQ-NrLBvzSOtWMv0lpNR-B4i-woaCkolH54358PK5lok3xQ1FELno4hm_uhiTbi8x-nOwCEI2K_0egUlhXytuoljg8ePnGnK-F-3Jzd_ySRAm-M0JdZAmYGpGrJ3MULiDiXWDr0Bh1QRzrjheZtar0bijRMhZLerRN07RBs.qYo9dtS9X6p9f7X_Qpex3T1p2KKLg8zlhSvlVi0CScM&dib_tag=se&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1721793799&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,96&sr=8-13&th=1

With that you must plug a fan into the only output that has all 4 pins so it can report speed.

For the ARGB LIGHTS, this is a good one

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Addressable-Universal-Radiators/dp/B083X1W5G4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CJD0UJ9EA5ZP&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.7EhpFXt0vEnPmBBxM_EDuI7JKIw9-sxtiks_Co7R3ImGFncEfsiqGwUX6SvRngvskYsfOuBPD8AfATHpJcu3m7wHy73VYjFF5xTAvibVI0ez10ZAeAjpHsza8PXXmkhct1rvZcsUSNT4wIRGjutVbRtC429M1NOFPgXG_yKkQDfwGFCmDJFK7pBqIwOtm57nxIGQld4nx-rwI9Vy65SVdXg_gu-FvT-DK3MpoU9rrXA.N53ioAB9v-rc1o6CpbTQcBihQJEk80Se1WB_waruOvQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=ARGB+Splitter&qid=1721793899&sprefix=argb+splitter,aps,91&sr=8-3&th=1

It has five outputs. In your case, cover the pins of the unused output with tape so they don't short to Ground.

A small note. Your mobo has three headers for ARGB lights they call Addressable Gen2 Headers. They are designed for use with the newest version of ARGB lights called Gen2, but if used that way they will not work with the original ARGB lights. HOWEVER, once you have things installed you will use the ASUS software utility AURA Sync found in their Armory Crate tool to set your lighting preferences. Look in there for an option to tell it to use the old original ARGB system, and not the Gen2 system. Then it will work just fine.

PowerJayz

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Thank you for the very detailed advice and recommendations. I'm thinking using a fan hub and ARGB hub combo solution so that I won't over tax a single fan speed header and ARGB header.

PS. the PC case I will be getting is the Antec C8