[SOLVED] Can I connect PC to HDMI and USB with Ethernet?

athorod

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Not sure if this is the correct subforum, and not exactly sure how to explain my issue, but I'll try... :)

I have a computer in room A. There is an ethernet cable between room A and B. I want to be able to connect the computer both to a TV in room B via HDMI. I would also like to connect the computer to microphone and webcam in room B via USB. Is there a way to do this?

Today, the computer is connected to a rj45-switch (which connects to another TV and a chromecast) which is again connected to a router in room A. From that router, I have an ethernet cable to room B. (5e I think, and the distance is about 30').

Are there some components I can buy to add so I can get both HDMI and USB-hub in room B? I have heard about an ethernet-HDMI adapter. Is there something similar for USB? Will it work with the switch and the router? Or should I run the computer on wifi and connect directly from the computer to room B? Or is there a way to solve this more easily wirelessly?

Solution
If what you want to do is essentially control room a's computer from room b, you just need a kvm solution that works over cat5 and supports usb devices. It won't be cheap though.
So there is a way to do this using a kvm that works over cat5e, but it will not work simultaneously with ethernet (unless you want to spend a lot of money).

But since there are other ways to potentially do what you are trying to do, what exactly are you trying to achieve with connecting the hdmi and usb in room b to the computer in room a?

Ralston18

Titan
HDMI is limited to about 50 feet - however, the resolution needs to be considered.

USB is limited to 15 feet. Extending the distance may be possible with an independently powered USB hub somewhere near the midpoint. Likely impractical and a bit cumbersome.

Instead of a webcam consider an indoor camera that is wired network capable, has an microphone speaker, PTZ capabilities, and can be either wired (Ethernet) or wireless.

Then you can connect Room A router ======> Room B camera using the existing ethernet cable.

athorod

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Are there easier ways to achieve this, without moving the computer?

I already have an RJ45 (5e) from room A to room B and would rather not change that, and would like to use that.

What I would like is to be able to keep the computer in Room A, and with the ethernet cable, be able to use a TV in room B as a monitor for the computer. That's priority 1. And, if possible, I would also like to use the USB-mic (blue yeti) in room B at the same time. It's close enough for wireless keyboard+mouse to work, I think.

Is there a way to make the blue yeti wireless, perhaps?