Can I copy solitaire xp to win 7

Richosh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
My wife, the solitaire queen, hates the solitaire version in win7. She loves the version in Windows XP. Is there some way to copy it from my XP Laptop to my Win7 Desktop? Thanks. Rich

Copy the "Sol.exe" and "Cards.dll" files from the C:\Windows\System32 folder on your XP system to some other folder on your Windows 7 system. Put both files in the same folder, but don't put them into the System32 folder 'cause they'll wipe out the Windows 7 version of the program.

To run the program, just double-click the "Sol.exe" file. You can create a shortcut to the file on your desktop or pin the program to the taskbar or start menu.

Richosh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks a million. Easy and worked perfectly. Registration of the DLL file wasn't necessary but thanks anyway boonality.

G

I have copied the file spider solitaire from xp to 7 and it has loaded and works but no sound!
I like the clicking sound of the cards
Any ideas would be appreciated.

tsmith777

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

I ran system 32 as you said and found cards.dll ok, however i only found Sol, could not find Sol.exe is the system. I am using XP Pro on a dell desktop and want to put Solitaire on a HP laptop with Win 7

Does the "sol" file show "Application" in the "Type" column and have an icon that looks like some playing cards sticking out of the top of the playing card box? If so, it's the right file.

I'm thinking that you might have Explorer set to hide file extensions like ".exe" in the file name. In the Explorer menu bar, go to "Tools -> Folder Options", then click the "View" tab, and near the bottom of the first page of options will be "Hide extensions for known file types". Make sure that option is UNchecked if you want to see the file types as part of the file name.

tsmith777

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

No, Application does not show in the type column
Yes, Hide extensions was checked, I Unchecked it and restarted the computer, still no Sol.exe

You're looking on your Windows XP system, and you're looking in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, right?

Can run actually run Solitaire? For example, if you click Start -> Run and type in "sol", does the program start up?

If so, it must be in there somewhere. Try searching the C:\ and all subfolders for sol.exe...

tsmith777

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

Yes I am using the XP System
When I clicked run and sol the solitaire came does come up, however when I searched C:\ sol.exe cannot find it. The solitaire Icon is there and when I click on it the game comes up, but when I send it to the Flash Drive and then plug it into the Win 7 machine it says cannot open because cads.dll is missing, however I cannot install cards.dll into the win 7 machine

tsmith777

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I have no idea what happened but I moved the solitaire icon from the flash drive to the win 7 computer which I have done at least 9 or 10 times in the last two days, however this time when I moved it, SOLITAIRE actually works on the win 7 computer.
GO Figure

OpaMike

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

The answer is very simple: just copy 2 files: sol.exe and cards.dll from Windows XP computer from Windows\System32 directory to any disk and directory on Windows 7 computer.
The same as your wife I like old Solitaire.
Mikle

McHuskyfan

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yes. You need the cards.dll file or the solitaire game will not work.

Unfortunately I found this out the hard way :( ... Can someone send me a copy of their file? Or tell me a safe place on the web to find one?

Thanks! :)