Question Can I daisy chain 3 ARGB fans and a CPU air cooler in the same two headers?

PCTDROOD

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
So I am currently building a new pc and I've run into a problem.

My case has three argb fans in the front, my cpu cooler has one and the other three I want to mount also have argb. I do not have enough fan headers with argb headers (2) on my mobo (pretty sure) to give them all power and rgb.

So, some people say that I should connect them to each other (some cables allow that), others tell me to buy a fan hub so I can hide the whole thing at the back of the case.

My motherboard is the MSI Mag Tomahawk B650 Wifi.
The CPU Cooler is the BeQuiet Pure Rock 2 FX (rgb)
The case with the three pre-installed fans is a Phanteks Eclipse G300a
The three extra fans are Arctic P12 PWM fans (also rgb).

What should I do? Can I chain the three argb to the cpu cooler and then put that in a fan header (4pin for power) and argb header (3pin argb) or will that not work?

Ralston18

Titan
What to do:

Start by reviewing the applicable User Guides/Manuals for the listed components.

Verify that the current and planned fan configurations are supported: fans, fan connections, and fan locations.

Very likely that the documentation will refer you back to the applicable manufacturer's websites for updated information. Double check.

GPU, RAM, disk drives? What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, efficiency? Power could be an issue.

Consider that 7 fans make not make the system cooler and, in fact, may be counter productive depending on air flows though the case. Preferably the overall air flows go upwards as much as possible via convection currents. Again fan installation and connection options (if any) should be presented in the installation documents.

And do be careful about the pin connections - ensure that any connections 3 or 4 pin are supported. Pay attention to the fan header specs and documentation.

Plan it out and post your plan. If possible take some photos and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Be sure not to post any personally identifying information.

Reactions: PCTDROOD
So I am currently building a new pc and I've run into a problem.

My case has three argb fans in the front, my cpu cooler has one and the other three I want to mount also have argb. I do not have enough fan headers with argb headers (2) on my mobo (pretty sure) to give them all power and rgb.

So, some people say that I should connect them to each other (some cables allow that), others tell me to buy a fan hub so I can hide the whole thing at the back of the case.
You do not have problems, you have choices and both are fine and it will depend on your preferences and the money you want to spend.

You can daisy chain or use a RGB splitters to connect several RGB cables into one RGB header.
Also you could use a fan/RGB hub, both choices are fine.

You could do the same with the fans.
I have 5 RGB cables connected to one RGB header using an inexpensive RGB splitter cable.

By the way, you do not place RGB cables onto fan headers or vice versa.

PCTDROOD

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
You do not have problems, you have choices and both are fine and it will depend on your preferences and the money you want to spend.

You can daisy chain or use a RGB splitters to connect several RGB cables into one RGB header.
Also you could use a fan/RGB hub, both choices are fine.

You could do the same with the fans.
I have 5 RGB cables connected to one RGB header using an inexpensive RGB splitter cable.

By the way, you do not place RGB cables onto fan headers or vice versa.
My cpu cooler and the three argb fans both list that they got a 5V thingy and in total they amount to about 1.6A. The argb headers on my mobo are also 5V and allow for up to 3A. Seems like ampère wise I am okay, but can the 5V header deal with a daisy chain of three argb fans and an argb cpu cooler?

I have attached three images with the specs of the cpu cooler, argb fans and mobo with the jargb headers. View: https://imgur.com/a/KsP9QBj

Last edited:
... but can the 5V header deal with a daisy chain of three argb fans and an argb cpu cooler?
The 5V DC or 12V DC is just the type of voltage rating used on fans and aRGB headers on the motherboard.
The amp rating is the important factor. The higher the amperage the more devices you could connect to a header.
If you divide the amperage rating of one RGB header (3A) into the RGB amp draw (0.4A), you could easily connect 7 devices to each RGB header.

Reactions: PCTDROOD