Can I Download Windows 7 BIOS Update on Windows 10?

pantman_

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
I have this pre-built PC from HP, and I want to update the BIOS. Only issue is that the update is for Windows 7, and I'm running Windows 10. I have no idea if this is an issue or not, but if it is, then how do I go about updating without switching back to Win 7?

Also I'm not sure where to put this so sorry if this is the wrong place for it.

Solution

HP never released a bios update to fix the issue with UEFI GPUs. The newest bios is from 2012 which was way before this issue came to light.
Don't mess with it on just a "chance". Look at the bios notes and see what issues are actually addressed in the update.

There is a risk of bricking a MB with a bad bios update - not the bios itself, but a glitch during the update. I wouldn't be doing it in any way that isn't directly supported by HP, so unless they say you can update it Windows 10, I wouldn't do it. I would also try to do it through the bios(not windows) if it is supported.

pantman_

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Well I had a gpu that wouldn't work in my pc and I was told it was an issue with my motherboard running legacy bios, and that there was a chance a bios update would fix it. The bios I'm running now is the one it shipped with, and the update is considerably newer.

1) as said, why are you updating the BIOS?

2) can you even DOWNLOAD the BIOS? I went to the link and there's no software I can link too (though maybe the Support Assistant works but I can't install that on my machine).

3) If you CAN (and need) to download the BIOS then I would find the instructions on how to do that via a USB stick (booting to stick so no Windows involvement). There would be no OS-specific version of a BIOS file anyway and W7 BIOS software would likely work just fine in W10 though I do NOT recommend you risk it.

bignastyid

Titan

HP never released a bios update to fix the issue with UEFI GPUs. The newest bios is from 2012 which was way before this issue came to light.

Solution