Question can i easily oc an 8700k at 5ghz?

Jun 24, 2019
can i oc an 8700k and mobo asus z370prime p II with 240mm cooler? also the vcore i want to be around 1.33v for 5ghz ,i dont know if the mobo can handle it

Last edited:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
i want to know if the motherboard is capable to keep my frequency high at 5ghz , im not sure about that, i mean i dont know if the vrm can handle 1.33max at 5ghz below 80 degrees
The only way is to try it out, motherboards have fail-safe triggers that will shut down your system if they detect the VRM is getting too hot. The only time I ran into that issue was with an old FX 6300 that my friend had with a cheap 970 series chipset board that had plastic push pins holding the VRM heatsink on, his Corsair H100i cooled the CPU enough, but the board couldn't take the voltage with the amount of cooling he had on the heatsink. We were pushing the absolute limits though with 5.0Ghz on 1.55V, (the FX 9590 voltage is 1.5V) and that was a $120 Canadian board, so like an $80 motherboard. I'd say you probably can reach 5Ghz once again, and yes your motherboard should be able to handle it.

Not all motherboards have the fail safes you talk about... in fact MOST of them dont.
Most motherboards will happily exceed 105/125C VRAM temps. Those are rated at XXXXX hours at that temperature, not that it is their absolute MAX temp. The problem is that the things AROUND the VRM (like the capacitors) are not rated to have something that hot next to them running.
But that is not what worries me. What worries me is your LLC setting to keep 5GHz stable. You might be hitting very high voltage spikes.

My motherboard has a heatsink (a bad one) on the VRM, is running a mild overclock (3.8GHz on a Ryzen 1700) and the Caps get at 89 C with no airflow on intel burn test. My understanding is that it means the VRM is at around 20C higher than the caps.

With mild airflow I drop them ot 75C, and in general use they dont reach 70 (gaming, streaming).
Your motherboard seems to have waay to weak VRM for that however:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/954053-wip-i-dont-recommend-the-asus-prime-z370-p/

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Not all motherboards have the fail safes you talk about... in fact MOST of them dont.
Most motherboards will happily exceed 105/125C VRAM temps. Those are rated at XXXXX hours at that temperature, not that it is their absolute MAX temp. The problem is that the things AROUND the VRM (like the capacitors) are not rated to have something that hot next to them running.
But that is not what worries me. What worries me is your LLC setting to keep 5GHz stable. You might be hitting very high voltage spikes.

My motherboard has a heatsink (a bad one) on the VRM, is running a mild overclock (3.8GHz on a Ryzen 1700) and the Caps get at 89 C with no airflow on intel burn test. My understanding is that it means the VRM is at around 20C higher than the caps.

With mild airflow I drop them ot 75C, and in general use they dont reach 70 (gaming, streaming).
Your motherboard seems to have waay to weak VRM for that however:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/954053-wip-i-dont-recommend-the-asus-prime-z370-p/
Thanks for looking that up, didn't realize that was such a cheap Z370 board.