Question Can I get away with my old PSU for 3070 ti?

Oct 3, 2024
Let me start with my current PC Specs;
I've been thinking about upgrading my GPU and today my friend told me he wants to sell his Palit RTX 3070 Ti GamingPro. I know there may be bottleneck issues due to my Ryzen 5 3600 and my motherboard's PCIe 3.0 support, but my TV being 1080p/60fps means that I won’t be pushing the GPU to its limits anytime soon. So with my limited budget I want to avoid any unnecessary upgrades if I can.

Which brings us to my PSU.
For my my current RTX 2060 Super (with an 8 pin connector) I have been using the 6 pin to 6+2 pin PCIe cable (three yellow and three black + two black wires) that came with my PSU. According to techpowerup.com my RTX 2060 Super's tdp is 175 W. If my understanding is correct, MOBO provides 75 W of it which means my 6 to 8 pin cable carries 100 W in theory?
Anyway, since Palit GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GamingPRO has two 8-pin connectors and a TDP of 290W, and considering the suggested PSU for this card is 600W, can I actually get away with using two separate PCIe cables, each going from a 6-pin PCIe slot on my PSU to each one of the 8-pin connectors on the GPU? (Without melting the cables, killing the GPU or burning down the house that is)
If I can actually use my current PSU, I’ll need to purchase an additional PCIe cable. Is an 18AWG copper wire the recommended standard for this purpose?
(My PSU box info; 1, 2)

I know it's a long shot since my PSU being an old one and 6 pin outputs have lower power delivery but I don't want to make an extra purchase if I can help it. And if I can't use it, would Evga 650 GQ V2 be a solid option since it has two 8 pin modular Pci-e slots and cheap?

Sincerely THANK YOU in advance for any help or advice!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Simple answer to the question in your thread title is no. A PSU is considered to be the heart of a system, if it fails it can and will take out whatever it's hooked up to.

but I don't want to make an extra purchase if I can help it.
You're spending on a new GPU, you should spend on a reliably built PSU to protect your entire build's investments. Perhaps wait a little and save up so you're able to purchase a reliably built PSU alongside your GPU. If I were you, I'd look into a 750W unit so you have headroom and your investment towards said PSU would be a longer lasting one instead of merely catering to a single GPU purchase.

Speaking of purchase, where are you located? Please don't mention Europe since that's a region, not a country. We need to know where you're located, what your budget is for your upgrade path and your preferred site for purchase in case we have leads to some good options for your upgrade path.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Simple answer to the question in your thread title is no. A PSU is considered to be the heart of a system, if it fails it can and will take out whatever it's hooked up to.

but I don't want to make an extra purchase if I can help it.
You're spending on a new GPU, you should spend on a reliably built PSU to protect your entire build's investments. Perhaps wait a little and save up so you're able to purchase a reliably built PSU alongside your GPU. If I were you, I'd look into a 750W unit so you have headroom and your investment towards said PSU would be a longer lasting one instead of merely catering to a single GPU purchase.

Speaking of purchase, where are you located? Please don't mention Europe since that's a region, not a country. We need to know where you're located, what your budget is for your upgrade path and your preferred site for purchase in case we have leads to some good options for your upgrade path.
Thank you for welcoming me and your quick reply.
I knew my chances were slim and using my current PSU with 3070 ti would probably mean putting my components in danger but I guess I wanted to try my luck. The reason the alternative PSU I asked about is a 650W cheap one is the same reason I mentioned in the beginning; I am limited to 1080p/60fps, so with a 3070 ti (or even with my 2060 super for most games), upgrading my system in general is unnecessary. I am excited about said 3070 ti because I wanted to play Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing on and upcoming games like kcd 2 and gta 6 etc in highest graphics.
Thank you for your interest, but since I live in Turkey, it might be difficult for you to provide advice on prices and parts.