[SOLVED] Can I give a gpu idle-stop capabilities by simply connecting gpu fans to the motherboard?

raptorcruz

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
There are very few Geforce 16-series cards that are available locally here in Japan.
However, all the cards that I find are know to be loud (Asus RUG, Zotac)
Can I give a gpu idle-stop capabilities by simply connecting gpu fans to the motherboard?
I looked up the cards on review sites and pictures of the card's circuit board show that they all have their own 3 or 4-pin connecter on the board itself.
So if I wanted to, could I just have the fans connect to the motherboard (splice my own connector) and then I control them myself (use Speedfan and control the fan speed based on the gpu sensor)?
Or is there something in the card that would disable the card if it doesn't detect a fan connected to the gpu's board itself?

Solution
I do not have full answer on this question, but I have some thaught on what to be aware of (what may happens)

The GPU have probably some safety/control mechanisms that detect if the fan doesn't spin. If that's the case, it may not work whatever you do. If your gpu fan have only two wires, that is probably not the case - but then you won't be able to control the fan speed from MB anyway.

If you use Speedfan, you run a little risk that the GPU fan goes stuck in a setting.
I do not have full answer on this question, but I have some thaught on what to be aware of (what may happens)

The GPU have probably some safety/control mechanisms that detect if the fan doesn't spin. If that's the case, it may not work whatever you do. If your gpu fan have only two wires, that is probably not the case - but then you won't be able to control the fan speed from MB anyway.

If you use Speedfan, you run a little risk that the GPU fan goes stuck in a setting.

Solution

raptorcruz

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
Thanks. Yes, all the things you pointed out are things that I've already researched and thought about.

The thing that I really need a definite answer for is the question of whether or not there is something in the card that would disable the card if it doesn't detect a fan connected to the gpu's board itself?
Thank you though.