Question Can I have more copy-and-paste history?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Recently I find that there is a function by pressing windows key+v then it will show a clipboard with recent copy-and-paste history which is very useful for me. However, I also find that it only keeps certain amount, is it possible to configure to keep more?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The new Windows clipboard is still too new to be hackable. It has also not externalized its functional parameters in the registry as of yet.

All that is known about it is that it is enabled via:
  • Settings > System > Clipboard
  • Group Policy (gpedit.msc) in
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > OS Policies > Allow Clipboard History
  • In the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows by the values AllowClipboardHistory and AllowCrossDeviceClipboard.
That just about sums up everything that is known. We don't know any way of extending its size beyond 25, as specified in Microsoft's article Get help with clipboard, and there is also no way to move or extend its window from the bottom-right of the screen.

For more functionality, one is today still obliged to use third-party products, of which there are many.

You may find some lists with reviews in the articles:
https://superuser.com/questions/1501101/how-to-increase-windows-10-clipboard-history
Quote mentions a few alternatives - that was 2 months ago

in the past its size was tied to page file size but it appears a hard limit. I wouldn't be surprised to find its restricted because it might also be synced to your roving profile so you can see it on any PC you logon too.