[SOLVED] Can I install windows 10 for free on a new build pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Go to Microsoft.com, download the OS of your choice (ID seriously recommend either of the x64 (64bit) versions. Pro lisence usually costs more.

Use windows media tool to convert that and stick it on a USB bootable drive, you'll need at least a 16Gb USB that's clean. Plug it in, just make sure bios boot prefs are set for UEFI USB before the UEFI internal storage.

At some point it'll ask for the key, just check the box for later/no key.

When you do decide to register, just go through Microsoft.com again and add the key to your account. Microsoft keeps record of your registration, you don't, so if you have to start all over again, just log back into Microsoft and it'll auto reapply.

USAFRet

Titan
I just build a brand new gaming pc and now I want to know how to install windows and if i can install it for free?
You can install it and leave it Unactivated, with the limitations an Unactivated WIn 10 OS brings.
A randomly appearing watermark at bottom right, and no customization of the Taskbar and desktop.

An actual license to activate it is around $100US.

Installation is just the same.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go to Microsoft.com, download the OS of your choice (ID seriously recommend either of the x64 (64bit) versions. Pro lisence usually costs more.

Use windows media tool to convert that and stick it on a USB bootable drive, you'll need at least a 16Gb USB that's clean. Plug it in, just make sure bios boot prefs are set for UEFI USB before the UEFI internal storage.

When you do decide to register, just go through Microsoft.com again and add the key to your account. Microsoft keeps record of your registration, you don't, so if you have to start all over again, just log back into Microsoft and it'll auto reapply.

Solution
Jun 1, 2020

Okay thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
I'd be surprised, some say they take old keys from broken computers
Yes, and those broken systems are often ex-corporate. The licenses they came with depend on a corporate license server.
Will run just fine for 180 days. Then, it will unactivate itself. The ebay seller is, of course, long gone by then.

"some say" a lot of things.

There is no valid + cheap channel for a valid Windows license.

And yes, money laundering absolutely comes into play. How to transfer 500 stolen credit card numbers into 'money'?
Buy "valid" game and other licensed software (Windows), Sell cheap.
When the credit card eventually gets the chargeback...that cheap license you bought gets revoked.

A cheap Windows license from fleabay is just as valid as this cheap GPU:
rKww3wH.png

You never know the origin. Some of them could be bought with stolen credit cards. Many of them are just bulk keys a company bought then didn't need all of them so they sold off the unused ones.

Selling these keys for reuse violates an agreement with Microsoft. However, running windows 10 without a license key is violating the License Agreement you agree to when you download W10 as well. Both are really grey areas.

With my personal experiences, I use cheap keys often.

One for my main PC was the most expensive windows key I have ever bought cost $14 from SCDkeys. Worked fine first try. Still activated like 2.5 years later.

I have used several eBay keys and I usually try to find the cheapest possible since it's likely your chances of getting a faulty key are the same with a $15 key as a $5 one.

Usually, I just get the key from the seller, input it into Windows, and it works first try no issues.

The worst experience with eBay keys I have had was one time where the key didn't work so I had to ask for a replacement key. I kept getting non-working replacement keys but eventually, they sent me a working key. AFAIK that machines w10 copy is still activated.

In all of those cases, I saved tons of money compared to buying a key from NewEgg or something, and I got the exact same outcome with an activated Windows license.

I have never had an issue with a key getting revoked or a machine going unactivated down the line, but I do understand it happens, such as with Usafret's Asus transformer.

I would say most eBay keys are more valid than that GPU since most times the keys work properly for their intended purpose whereas that card will never work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.