Can I make a light box using cardboard and foil?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok, so I have this little portable LED light that get's really bright, but I don't want it directly lighting me up, I was thinking of doing a cheap method of reflecting the light to light me up for my webcam, but not blind me so I was thinking of creating a light box out of a small cardboard box and line the inside with foil and mount the light facing inward to it so that the light reflects back to me without blinding me.

Will this work? Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
You need to make a diffused lightbox if you plan to illuminate yourself using the light without being harsh on the eyes or your face(color wise on the webcam). You will need some frosting paper or butter paper/or tracing paper to line the external of the box(from which the light will shine outward). this way you'll get a diffused light on your subject.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So what you're saying is it would be better to mount the LED light behind a defuser instead then?
BTW, the light is a multi level LED light that has a 1/4" mount screw on it that allows it to be mounted to something like a mobile Gimbal.

the brand is DLC.
It is USB rechargeable and has 4 levels of luminance, and I plan on using it at either the highest level of luminance or a step below that.

It's really effing bright because it has 12 LED's on a rectangular panel behind a frosted white layer of plastic, but of course this is still to harsh on my eyes and would like a way to have it not being directly in my eyes while pointing straight at me offering the best illumination.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
First off if you want to have cardboard or anything close to a light source, make sure it's not too hot. It's LED, okay, but those can get hot too.

If you want to go the chapest simplest route, you can just use a piece of white paper, or just the white wall in front of you, and bounce the light from it. This should work okay if the light is bright enough. Photographers have been bouncing flashes from ceilings and white walls since forever. Search for bounce flash for some inspiration.

Indeed foil will not work well because it would work like a mirror and not diffuse the light enough. That's why white paper/walls will work better.

Ideally indeed you want a regular lightbox. Just go to any photography store and get one honestly, the small one should cost peanuts. Just make sure you have one suitable for constant lighting (i.e. not just flash) due to heat concerns.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I appreciate those of you who took your time to offer feedback.
Unfortunately none of the feedback given was of any real help to me.
So I'm just going to have to wait until I can piece together a cheap way of utilizing what I already have to get the job done.

Re-purpose an umbrella. Chop the handle and spray paint the inside white or light grey, then just dust it a bit with silver spray paint.

Mount the LED lamp on what's left of the handle, facing the underside of the umbrella and aim it where you want it to illuminate.

You'll have a wide area of diffuse light for camera work.