Status
Not open for further replies.

crossgozon

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Hello,

I am a programmer, with my work i need to have more memory capacity on my desktop computer. I currently have (TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz) and I am planning to buy again the same exact brand and model of RAM to make my system a 32 gb in memory capacity. Will i encounter some issues?

Summary:
(TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz)
To mix with another:

Possible? Will i encounter issues?

PC Specs:
Windows 10
ASROCK B450M Steel Legend
AMD Ryzen 5 5600g

crossgozon

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Asked here daily, multiple times per day.

The answer has not changed in many years.
"Maybe"
I mean what can i do? My country dont have yet 2x32gb ram sticks on sale with same brand. My only option is to buy another 2x16gb. I am only asking because, i dont want to waste money. No one wants to waste a money right?

crossgozon

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Stop this lazy "maybe" thing answers. ANSWER directly by saying Yes or No. With technical explainations. Thats all people need here, people same as me finding the good answers.

USAFRet

Titan
Stop this lazy "maybe" thing answers. ANSWER directly by saying Yes or No. With technical explainations. Thats all people need here, people same as me finding the good answers.
It might work, it might fail.

Your 2x kits might fail.
If I were to buy 2 of the same ones, from the same manufacturer, it might work.

There is zero guarantee either way.
RAM is sold as a kit for a reason. The manufacturer is stating that these particular sticks will work.

But one now, and one later, they may well come out of two different factories, with slightly different +/- tolerances.
And possibly not play well together.

kanewolf

Titan
The reason it is "maybe" is because no two RAM sticks are exactly alike. You might get lucky and have some that are well matched. You might not. Manufacturers test thousands of RAM sticks and then pair (or more) them into a set AFTER TESTING. Without buying a set you are taking the responsibility of testing if two RAM sticks will play nice. Maybe yes, maybe no. NOBODY can predict if two random RAM sticks will behave well together. The most researched answer really is MAYBE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

DSzymborski

Titan

That is the answer. Maybe. They can't actually make identical RAM sticks any more than they can make identical CPUs; fabrication processes just aren't that exact. So in the same way CPUs are tested and given a model name based on how they perform in testing, so are RAM sticks.

Sticks of RAM, since they cannot truly be identical, are tested together and the ones that properly work together are sold together as a kit. The company can provide a warranty that those sticks will work together, but not with other sticks. It's likely to work when you have sticks that were close enough in testing to be given the same model name, but not guaranteed.

So yes, maybe is the correct answer.

Also, if you intend to hang around here, you need to understand that people here are not your employees. You can't just command them to ANSWER you after you call them lazy. You're fortunate that you were rude to one of the moderators and not one of the regular posters as we're much more forgiving of rudeness to one of us.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hello,

I am a programmer, with my work i need to have more memory capacity on my desktop computer. I currently have (TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz) and I am planning to buy again the same exact brand and model of RAM to make my system a 32 gb in memory capacity. Will i encounter some issues?

Summary:
To mix with another:

Possible? Will i encounter issues?

PC Specs:
Windows 10
ASROCK B450M Steel Legend
AMD Ryzen 5 5600g

SHORT ANSWER: Yes and No it might not.
Unless you buy 4x8 kit, there still lies the chance of the pair not being compatible with the other. Best you can do is match the serial number to ensure they are from the same release, build, etc but still, issue may arise. Or just sell the first kit and buy a new 4x8/2x16

Possible... yes.
Will I encounter issues? Perhaps.

If you can return the ram if it does not work, give it a try.
As a unsubstantiated non educated guess, I think you have a 80% chance of success.
See that your motherboard bios is current, many bios updates address ram compatibility.
If you can boot, you are not out of the woods yet.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Reactions: crossgozon

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I mean what can i do? My country dont have yet 2x32gb ram sticks on sale with same brand. My only option is to buy another 2x16gb. I am only asking because, i dont want to waste money. No one wants to waste a money right?
For me it worked on the computers I had bought for the last decade. I am talking about 4-5 computers, not as many as some others.

But as others wrote, there might be problems.

I think the risk is not that high, if you do not have any other option. But for my next computer I will do as they wrote.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
For me it worked on the computers I had bought for the last decade. I am talking about 4-5 computers, not as many as some others.

But as others wrote, there might be problems.

I think the risk is not that high, if you do not have any other option. But for my next computer I will do as they wrote.

Yep. Risk not that high if it's identical, but still.. "maybe" it will work, "maybe" it will not. or "maybe" it will work but with some issues in exchange. Yours is just pure luck, I admit that usually happen to me like getting a two 2666mhz ram running at 3200mhz with no issues at all. And a completely mismatched and not identical rams working with each other like it's nothing.

Stop this lazy "maybe" thing answers?

How about, stop being intentionally obtuse. "Maybe" is 100% the correct answer in EVERY SINGLE CASE when you are trying to use ANY DIMM with another DIMM that it was not tested with and validated as being compatible with at the factory. Even if they have identical part numbers. Even if they came out of the exact same factory and assembly line. Since clearly you DON'T know what you are talking about enough to be saying that "maybe" is the wrong answer, then MAYBE you should fix that shortcoming by educating yourself and here would be a good place to start.

Reading the whole guide would be best, but for this specific situation I'd recommend that you FIRST read the second section, titled "The odd man out (Or mixed memory", and then re-read the entire guide. And after that, maybe read the information at the other links I'll post as well. And in the meantime, it would be to your benefit to not be knocking the answers of people who have most likely triple the experience working on systems as the majority of our visitors have been alive, because it just doesn't make sense. You wouldn't argue with your pharmacist about his pedigree and since you know absolutely nothing about the person you are trying to throw shade at, since you've been here like three minutes in the grand scheme of things, you probably should extend at least a modicum of respect that he knows what he is talking about. And he does, I assure you 1000%.

Reading this would be a good idea as well, IF you want to gain at least a basic understanding of the very thing you seem to indicate is not understood by others.

Even Crucial, one of the biggest memory manufacturers out there and one of the few who actually manufacturers it own DRAM rather than just assembling modules using DRAM from third party fabs, says "maybe".

https://www.crucial.com/blog/memory/mix-and-match-dram

As well, G.Skill, one of if not THE best known aftermarket memory manufacturer in many markets, also clearly specifies that they do not recommend mixing memory and that if you mix memory, even the same brand, even THEIR memory, the result is likely to be "maybe" and that they don't recommend it.

Question: I want to install more memory, in addition to my existing memory kit. What are my options?

Answer: We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

Please also note that the G.SKILL QVL applies to single kit compatibility only, so mixing two or more of the same memory kit is not recommended.

https://www.gskill.com/faq/1502180912/DRAM-Memory

And beyond that, which applies to any configuration using TWO DIMMs, it becomes INCREASINGLY likely that you will run into some level of problem, whether it's doesn't POST at all, won't work at the XMP settings, not full capacity shows, bluescreen errors, or anything else, when you go from mixing two DIMMs to any mixed combination of four DIMMs. The more memory modules involved, and the more unmatched memory that is in the configuration, the more likely it will have problems or potentially not even work at all. I can post pages and pages of such situations just from this forum alone, just that I've dealt with, and there are thousands more examples that other members here have tackled that were directly related to mixing memory. So anybody who says it's not a problem, probably lacks any substantial experience with more than their own system.

If you MUST run memory that did not ALL come together in one kit, then you want to either run a second kit that is the exact same model/part number or is as close to the exact specifications for speed, latency and voltage as the other kit to have the best chance of it working. But even then, we often see problems that are usually due to differences in the number of ranks, rows, dram type or even configuration problems related to the instructions on the motherboard itself as sometimes every spec can look the same but there are significant differences in the secondary or tertiary timings that the board simply cannot account for.

In the end, the answer IS "maybe".

Reactions: bazzingabear
Status
Not open for further replies.