Question Can I mix Corsair RAM ver 4.31 with ver 4.32 ?

Jun 13, 2023
Hi, my system is currently runing two sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGP Pro 2x8 3200. (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)
I wanted to add two more ram sticks, with exactly the same sticks, because I heard that mixing isn't recommended. So I went to my buyers history and selected the exact same sticks and bought them.
Now that they have arrived I checked the sticks, and the pair already installed has ver 4.31 and the new pair has ver 4.32. Will this be a problem?
The new sticks have the same code (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16), same timings and everything, only the version number is different.

It should work but keep in mind that the old set should be on a channel and new set should be on the other channel. For example A1 is paired with B1 for dual channel use your old ram there and on the 2nd dual channel A2 and B2 use the new RAM. You have higher chance of working this way.

Reactions: Lukoo19
Jun 13, 2023
It should work but keep in mind that the old set should be on a channel and new set should be on the other channel. For example A1 is paired with B1 for dual channel use your old ram there and on the 2nd dual channel A2 and B2 use the new RAM. You have higher chance of working this way.
Okay thanks!
Yeah, I knew about the channels, just didn't know about the versions
Will try it now and see if everything works!

Jun 13, 2023
Okay, so I tried it. And the results (for me) were wierd.
So I put the new (ver 4.32) sticks in A1 and B1, because I still had the older sticks (ver 4.31) in the A2 and B2. It detected the sticks, but when I set the XMP to profile 1, the system rebooted a few times after the restart, and when looking in BIOS and taskmanager after, they both gave me a frequency of 2133 MHz. Tried switching back to XMP disabled and then back to profile 1 again. Still the same.
Checked both sets separately and both went to 3200 MHz. So no problems there.
Then I tried putting the new set (ver 4.32) in A2 and B2 and the older set (ver 4.31) in A1 and B1 and now it seems to be working fine at 3200 MHz.
Feels a bit wierd to me, but it works now xD

Thanks for the help

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I put the new (ver 4.32) sticks in A1 and B1, because I still had the older sticks (ver 4.31) in the A2 and B2. It detected the sticks, but when I set the XMP to profile 1, the system rebooted a few times after the restart, and when looking in BIOS and taskmanager after, they both gave me a frequency of 2133 MHz. Tried switching back to XMP disabled and then back to profile 1 again. Still the same.
Then I tried putting the new set (ver 4.32) in A2 and B2 and the older set (ver 4.31) in A1 and B1 and now it seems to be working fine at 3200 MHz.

Thanks for the help
Your results are common. You mixed 2 sets of memory that was not tested together and don't work together.
Nobody should of said this would work fine. I always recommend buying a matched tested set for the amount of memory you need and selling the old set.

Your best bet was to spend money one time on a new 2X16gb set if you needed 32GB.

You can try loosening the timings or lowering the speed.

Jun 13, 2023
Your results are common. You mixed 2 sets of memory that was not tested together and don't work together.
Nobody should of said this would work fine. I always recommend buying a matched tested set for the amount of memory you need and selling the old set.

Your best bet was to spend money one time on a new 2X16gb set if you needed 32GB.

You can try loosening the timings or lowering the speed.
Okay, so better not to buys two sets of ram. But better to buy a 4x8 set or a set of 2x16?
But it shouldn't be a problem if they are the exact same right? The two sets of 2x8? (now mine weren't even though I literally bought the same product twice, they gave me different versions)
But asking for potential future builds.

Luckely my two sets seem to work together at 3200 MHz now. After switching the sets from A1 and B1 to the A2 and B2 and the ohter way with the other set of sticks.

kanewolf

Titan
Okay, so better not to buys two sets of ram. But better to buy a 4x8 set or a set of 2x16?
But it shouldn't be a problem if they are the exact same right? The two sets of 2x8? (now mine weren't even though I literally bought the same product twice, they gave me different versions)

Luckely my two sets seem to work together at 3200 MHz now. After switching the sets from A1 and B1 to the A2 and B2 and the ohter way with the other set of sticks.
Unless the manufacturer tests them as a set there is no guarantee that randomly chosen "exactly the same" will work together. This is why manufacturers test RAM and sell sets. They are guaranteed to work. Anything else, the responsibility of testing and matching is up to you. The random samples you buy might work or might not. They might work at first, then as they heat, blue screen. Matched sets are made for a reason.
For desktop processors, two DIMMs is optimum.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jun 13, 2023
Unless the manufacturer tests them as a set there is no guarantee that randomly chosen "exactly the same" will work together. This is why manufacturers test RAM and sell sets. They are guaranteed to work. Anything else, the responsibility of testing and matching is up to you. The random samples you buy might work or might not. They might work at first, then as they heat, blue screen. Matched sets are made for a reason.
For desktop processors, two DIMMs is optimum.
Okay! Thanks for the info.
Was under the impression that you could mix sets if they were of the same code and timings, because a lot of peeps say like 2 sticks is good so you can add another 2 later if you need more RAM.
But clearly that wasn't true, thanks for letting me know!

Last edited:
But it shouldn't be a problem if they are the exact same right?
Not a sure thing, it may or it may not work, in 90% of the cases it worked for me, it did nto work when i mixed different speeds and different manufacturers. I also got a 4x8GB set which would not work in certain arrangement, specific memory modules had to be in specific locations, had to mark them which in which slot works, so it is not as simple as 2 sets of 2 will work 100% not even a 1 set of 4 but for the set of 4 you can RMA them because they are advertised to work toghether, all 4 of them and they are not as for now you cannot, nobody from the manufacturer said it will work all four of them toghether.

Jul 20, 2023

Thanks for the help
Had the exact same issue except I had a v5.32 kit, ordered another kit just like u from the same listing from order history and it was v4.31, then ordered replacements cuz of BSOD and mem check detecting issues and got v4.32 🤣. U saved me bro, lost 3 days and a windows install over that <Mod Edit> 🤣🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 20, 2023
Had the exact same issue except I had a v5.32 kit, ordered another kit just like u from the same listing from order history and it was v4.31, then ordered replacements cuz of BSOD and mem check detecting issues and got v4.32 🤣. U saved me bro, lost 3 days and a windows install over that <Mod Edit> 🤣🤣
Gonna return my original kit lol

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The problem is that RAM is binned; it's *not* the exact same. RAM is basically specced on how fault the results are. They don't have a manufacturing line that churns out 3000 MHz RAM and a different one doing 3200 MHz RAM and another one doing 3600 MHz RAM. It's all basically the same RAM and packaged based on how defective it is and tested to be workign with another stick of RAM that's approximately as defective and cooperates with it.

You can have RAM packaged identically 30 seconds after another identically branded package of RAM and them not work together. Because no two sticks of RAM are actually identical (same goes for CPUs). There are limitations in semiconductor fabrication.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 20, 2023
The problem is that RAM is binned; it's *not* the exact same. RAM is basically specced on how fault the results are. They don't have a manufacturing line that churns out 3000 MHz RAM and a different one doing 3200 MHz RAM and another one doing 3600 MHz RAM. It's all basically the same RAM and packaged based on how defective it is and tested to be workign with another stick of RAM that's approximately as defective and cooperates with it.

You can have RAM packaged identically 30 seconds after another identically branded package of RAM and them not work together. Because no two sticks of RAM are actually identical (same goes for CPUs). There are limitations in semiconductor fabrication.
I know but it works for now, will get a different 4x8 or 16 kit at some point when a stick dies 🤣