Question can i mix different sizes of memory

Feb 14, 2022
so im getting some new memory becuase my renders need more and i wanted to know if i can mix different sizes. They are the exact same speed and latency but 2 sticks are 8 gb and 2 sticks are 16 gb.

USAFRet

Titan
so im getting some new memory becuase my renders need more and i wanted to know if i can mix different sizes. They are the exact same speed and latency but 2 sticks are 8 gb and 2 sticks are 16 gb.
Question asked here every day, multiple times per day.

The answer never changes:
Anything other than RAM sold as a set is subject to not working.

It might work, it might fail.

Percentage of success? Somewere between 0.01% and 100%.

Reactions: CountMike
To answer your question....
May be possible.
But....

What do you have now, and what do you need?
What is your cpu? What is your motherboard?
A perennial question.
Here is my stock answer:

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%
I might guess 90% success for intel and less for amd.

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram is punched from sheets of silicon. Each sheet is unique in its exact composition and trace impurities. When you buy a single kit, it's pretty much a given that the serial numbers will be consecutive or very close, so that the ram has the best chance of compatibility, coming from the same sheet.

Different sheets, different kits, no guarantees. Period. It'll either work, work with some tweaking or not work at all.

TRENDING THREADS