Question Can I mix these RAMs?

PhantomXS

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2013
Hi,
I have the Asus Z97-PRO and I want to mix rams in my system.

My existing setup includes 4 X 2GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. More details here:

I have a new (single) RAM stick of DDR 8 GB RAM, with a speed of 1866 Mhz from a different brand (Kllisre):

I have currently installed the new stick in Slot #2 and it's working fine.

I also want to use the other 3 older RAM sticks I have with the new and boost the total RAM to 14 GB.
With the above specs, can I do it?
If yes, which sticks should placed in which slots?

I use the system for moderate gaming so I believe the boost will be helpful. Refresh rate lower by a few fps is fine.

Will configuring these together in any way damage the motherboard or create any other issues?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Please pass on a link to the sticks of ram you have. Also, I'm an advocate of not mixing and matching rams since they only do more harm, degrade performance than good.

You should look at ram upgrades like buying a pair of shoes. Countless number of people have come around asking if they can/should mix and match. Would you mix and match a pair of shoes? If you lost one out of a pair would the shop sell you one out of the pair? Similarly, you should look at ram kits and pair rams according to the slots on the board. Either buy 2 2x8GB kit or a 4x8GB if you want 32GB.

Since you already have the ram, you might as well go ahead and try adding them.
There is little choice about it, three of the 4 2gb sticks will go in the remaining three slots.
That gives you a total of 14gb,
Since you will have 4gb matched on both channels, they will run in dual channel mode.
the remaining odd 6gb will run in single channel mode.
Not bad at all IF..... it works.
I give you about a 50/50 chance of success.
Ram must be matched.

If nothing works, no harm will come.