Question can I move nvme m.2 w/ windows 10 to new motherboard with new cpu?

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
the motherboard/cpu I have now is crosshair vi hero x370 and ryzen 7 1800x
im upgrading to the asus tuf gaming x570 Plus, ryzen 9 3900x and going from 16 GB of corsair vengeance ram, to trident z neo 32 GB 3600 MHz

Like mentioned I have windows 10 installed on my NVME m.2 960 EVO and i'm wanting to know if I need to back up the files first? or can I just install the new board, cpu, etc.. and then drop the m.2 into the new config and fire up windows?
Cause once I remove the MB and all of that there won't be any going back so i want to make sure if this is possible first?

USAFRet

Titan
can I just COPY my C:/ drive to another SSD drive? or do I need backup software? sorry if it's a dumb question
A cloning tool is required. Samsung Data Migration (if a Samsung target drive) or Macrium Reflect. Both work well.

However - Your concept of new motherboard and CPU (effectively a whole new PC)....this usually will NOT work.
A new motherboard wants a clean install.

Reactions: TRE IzDOPE
I think I misunderstood you when I recommended Samsung Migration Tool (which is why I deleted my post).
If you intend to use the 960 Evo drive you are currently using, unaltered, with the new motherboard, you don't need any backup tools or migration software.

As for the backup, only copy important files you want to preserve. You don't want all the Windows files, program files and so on on your backup drive - which is what would happen if you just copied the c:\ destination.

You can make a complete system backup image, if you want to, so you are able to completely restore the drive and Windows installation as it is now.

But if you don't want to reinstall Windows (which I suspect you don't want to), and you are prepared that it might not work, just moving the drive to a new motherbard with a completely different chipset, you don't have to do anything other than save important files, pictures and documents.

I would highly recommend a clean install of Windows, though, as it might save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Moving that drive + OS to a new motherboard, be prepared for absolute fail.

3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails comepletely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3

With new hardware like this, a clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Thank you everyone, I was afraid of that, I knew that back in the day it was a must to reinstall windows, but I didn't know if it may have changed in the years since I have did an upgrade and had a version of windows already. I'll just move the files that I want to keep and run a new install.. my pc don't have a cd drive so i'll have to put windows on a flash drive and do it that way I guess. I just hate having to download all the software and stuff again.. cause from my experience in the past you can't just move program files to another disk and reinstall windows and then run those programs. i'm half tempted to just buy a new m.2 since the board has duel m.2 and do it that way.
but I appreciate all of the replies, i had a good idea that i was going to have to reinstall, just wanted to make sure