[SOLVED] Can I move windows 10 and the recovery partition from the boot ssd to another ssd and then wipe the original boot drive?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Sorry for the long title. Im fixing to sell my pc. It has two ssd's and one hdd. Both ssd's have software that lets you secure erase. I secure erased the ssd that the pc doesn't boot from. Ill get more for the pc if I don't have to knock off the price the buyer would have to pay for a new licence. So can I move windows 10 AND the recovery partition to the clean ssd? Further will this somehow transfer any old recoverable data to the new drive? Id like to wipe the entire boot ssd but keep the partition so that windows is recoverable for the buyer without a new license. To clarify the pc is being sold whole with all the drives.

Last edited:
Solution
No since win 10 installations bind to the hardware it should not be an issue.
Was it me? Grab what i want and delete everything else. If you are nervous about the buyer somehow recovering your data then format the drives and reinstall windows.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
You are trying to sell the license, and use it yourself?
Well it was a prebuilt computer. Im trying to sell the entire pc. I guess I hadn't thought about that. Are you supposed to delete windows if you sell an entire pc? But no I don't want to keep the license. I want to leave it on there so that the new owner didn't have to buy a new license but now Im thinking maybe they have to.

anotthatgreatdane

Reputable
Nov 15, 2019
No since win 10 installations bind to the hardware it should not be an issue.
Was it me? Grab what i want and delete everything else. If you are nervous about the buyer somehow recovering your data then format the drives and reinstall windows.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS