Question Can I put my case on a thin rug?

bioax

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
So I have a case and I was wondering if it is safe to put my pc on a thin rug (around 0.5 cm). If not, people have said that you should put your computer on the table. However, I was wondering what the difference between putting it on a table and on a hardwood floor.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well from my personal experience.. putting a PC on a rug is bad only because the PSU often draws air from below and wont be able to if the vents full of carpet.. as well Ive found on a hardwood floor they often will pull in more dust in general as the floors normaly are much dustier, or have more pet fur etc.. than a desk. but if you dont have pets, or like me are cleaning daily so fur and dust bunnies dont accumulate than a hard floor would be ok id think, as for carpet just use a think board under PC ..

Really depends on your dust/debris situation at home.
If the PSU can get sufficient airflow and/or has a proper dust filter on the bottom of the case then it should be fine.
I ran my PC on very short carpet back in college and never had any airflow/dust/lint problems. Now that Im back home I have to clean my PC constantly even though its on a desk behind my monitors. Just a far dustier environment.