Can I re-use a Windows 8.1 OEM disc and key code to a new gaming computer build?

derp01

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I successfully completed a computer build about a year and a half ago and I am no longer satisfied with it's noise levels, fps ratings, and overall performance. I have decided it is time for a new computer build. I don't have $100 to go out and buy another OEM disk, I barely have enough for the build itself ha ha. This is why i was wondering if it is possible to re-use the OEM disk on a new build? I still have the disc and the correct code for Windows 8.1 (it is a legitimate copy). Also it is on my hard drive of my current computer.. If re-using the disc and code isn't an option I was wondering if it is possible to salvage the hard drive of my current computer, which has Windows 8.1, and use it as a boot drive for my new build? Am I better off saving up $150 to buy a new Windows 8.1 OEM disc and a new SSD/HDD? Or is there a way that salvaging the HDD or re-using the old Windows 8.1 OEM disc? Please reply if you have and ideas or thoughts, any advice at all is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks for and advice and/or help!

Ps if you were interested in what my new build will be here a PCpartpicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Pdydf7 Thanks again!!

Solution
If it is a Win 8.1 that you bought and installed, yes, you can reinstall on new hardware.
As always, only one PC at a time.

If it was preinstalled (Dell/HP/etc), then no.
IF and thats a BIG IF, the SATA controller were the same in both PC's it could boot up.

Now as for reactivating it. 1) As per the UELA you can ONLY install it on one PC at a time. OEM's though you can only usually install on one PC and thats it. if the motherboard took a dump and you called up they should let you reactivate. 2) There is a difference between the OEM and OEM System Builder. They did away with the Retail version and replaced it with the system builder which will allow you to transfer your license to a new PC given that the windows is no longer activated on the old PC. Most likely if you keep windows on the old PC it will become deactivated because MS checks each license to 10 different things (Not sure if they still do with windows 8+) and if too many of them change then it deactivates. Now usually as long as the motherboard doesn't get changed you can reactivate without issues but if you change motherboards then yea you will have to reactivate.

Best bet, if you are not going to use the old PC anymore, install it with your codes, then call up MS to reactivate. doesn't hurt to try. If you still want to use your old PC get a new license.

derp01

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

It will be different parts all around. Different amd cpu chip set, different motherboard brand, new gpu, case, psu, ect... Is there a way to re-use the hard drive to cut $50 bucks out of the build or is that out of the question? I apologize if I word my question oddly for I am a complete noob when it comes to these things. I am just curious. Thanks!

derp01

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Thank you for your reply! Any way do you know of any YouTube tutorials or forums on here that i could use to reference off of? I apologize for asking for so much.. It's just I am a complete noob at things like this.

Yes you can. Just boot off the DVD and then reinstall a fresh windows 8.1. If you don't use it on the other machine there shouldn't be any issues with reactivating. Just may have to call them up to do it.

derp01

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Alright! Thanks a million!

rigmaster

Reputable
May 10, 2015
i had repeated O/s and hardware failures with my Acer on win7home premium x64. Right from the get go an Acer auto bios update wiped the acer id code off the machine, and what with bad updates from microsoft, actual viruses and 6 hdd failures, i must have reinstalled at least 100 times in the last 7 yrs. Never had a problem reactivating as i'd used a key sniffer to get the oem code from the original hdd when the bios code was wiped and then just programmed the part number into the new bios version. It has reactivated multiple times online and i had to call and explain my problems to microsoft a couple of times too but as it was usually their fault so they've caved and just let me get on with it.