Question Can i replace a old Intel AC-3168 wifi card in my MSI GE62 7RF Laptop with a newer Wifi Card?

May 16, 2022
My laptop, a 2017 MSI GE62vr 7RF has been unable to connect to the Wi-Fi recently and all indications point to a failing Wi-Fi card, I want to replace it but I'm unsure about compatibility. It has a MSI MS-16JB motherboard and is currently running an Intel AC-3168 Wi-Fi card. I can't find the same card where I live so I was wondering if swapping it out for a newer card would do the trick. It is a PCIe card and newer cards are mostly m.2 based. I've tried using external Wi-Fi dongles but they just are not stable enough for me to game on at all. Anyone got any suggestions?

This is the card currently in my laptop.
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

The part I am concerned about is that it says my board form factor is m.2 2230 and my System Interface is Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB.
In a newer card such as the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560, the board form factor still is m.2 2230 but the System Interface is M.2: CNVio.

I have no clue what the difference there is and that worries me.

Last edited:
My laptop, a 2017 MSI GE62vr 7RF has been unable to connect to the Wi-Fi recently and all indications point to a failing Wi-Fi card, I want to replace it but I'm unsure about compatibility. It has a MSI MS-16JB motherboard and is currently running an Intel AC-3168 Wi-Fi card. I can't find the same card where I live so I was wondering if swapping it out for a newer card would do the trick. It is a PCIe card and newer cards are mostly m.2 based. I've tried using external Wi-Fi dongles but they just are not stable enough for me to game on at all. Anyone got any suggestions?

This is the card currently in my laptop.
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

The part I am concerned about is that it says my board form factor is m.2 2230 and my System Interface is Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB.
In a newer card such as the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560, the board form factor still is m.2 2230 but the System Interface is M.2: CNVio.

I have no clue what the difference there is and that worries me.
If you google images of both cards, the 3168 has 2 notches and the 9560 has only 1. That sort of implies that you could not upgrade the way you want. You should probably check with intel to see what cards have the same 2 notch form factor. Searching the web it appears that the 8265 is the highest level with that form factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: acridoutcast