Can i replace existing single core processor with new dual core processor

cmhawker

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Have Toshiba Satellite #C655D laptop for my daughter. memory 4G,Graph AMD Radeon HD6310, hard disk 222GB free, 64bit, 1 core processor. She says it's running too slow. I have close to same Toshiba as work computer with close to same specs but dual core processor. Is this problem and can I upgrade the processor????

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Looking up the specs for the laptop I see that the AMD E300 and AMD E450 (dual-core processors used in the C655D) are both soldered in CPU's so upgrading is going to be near impossible (at a financially responsible price).
Probably not what you wanted to hear

A computer slowing down after a while is not unusual, there are a few common causes and solutions
1) Malware. No matter how careful one is, there is some kind of malware able to get into a system. This guide explains steps (yes, more than one) that should be taken to remove any malware http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248626-45-simple-free-guide-removing-malware
2) Heat. On laptops especially, heat is a big concern. Ensuring that the laptop is used on a flat, hard surface and the vents are clear while on will go far to keep the laptop happy and running smoothly. A cooling pad helps here also.
3) Dust. Related to heat, dust gets into the heat sink of a laptop and effectively 'chokes' the cooling airflow. Blowing out the vents with compressed air may help - if dust bunnies have formed, disassembly and cleaning would be required since compressed air will not remove them.
You may be able to upgrade the ram but I would look at the above options first
This should be helpful

Murray B

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
6310 indicate a dual-core E-300 which is at the low end of the mid-range machines and should not be slow for most tasks. Your daughter through no fault of her own may be suffering from a malicious software infection in her machine. There are many good free programs that can remove these infections and I have had good luck with Malwarebytes.Then make sure that there is a anti-viral program like Windows Defender and a firewall running.

After that make sure using the Vision Control Center under hardware that the memory is running at its rated speed. It seems that many machines come from the factory with the memory set to run at reduced speed for some reason. A BIOS update can sometimes fix underclocked memory. The next thing to do is to set Windows for performance. It naturally runs many small things in the background that can slow things down.

Good luck.