[SOLVED] Can I replace my stock Dell 0GDG8y ?

Rishabh7991

Prominent
May 6, 2020
Hey guys, I want help. My 10 year old pc Inspiron 620s gave up last month. It just won't boot up. I figures that its wither PSU or dead mobo ( all fans run but no mobo light) .
In case its a dead mobo, which other motherboard can I use to replace the original one since its not available now ? Can I choose AMD motherboard cause I want a new cpu aswell. I worried that new mobo wont fit in screws alignment of case.

Everything about that unit is proprietary. In order to replace the motherboard you will need a different case and a different PSU. So basically, at minimum, you are looking at a new motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU and case.

Might just as well plan on a complete build from scratch aside from the storage devices, but you will likely need to do a clean install of Windows after replacing the motherboard.

You will want to associate your current Windows installation (If running Windows 7, 8 or 10) with a Microsoft account and then upgrade to Windows 10 via clean install if you are not already running Windows 10.

But there is no simple cheap way to simply swap a new board and CPU into that unit. They will not fit without major modification and fabrication.

And if the PSU is the problem, that too is proprietary so you can't just swap any old ATX power supply into there either.

Yes, this is the main problem with many of the Dell, HP and other prebuild manufacturer systems is that a lot of them are fully proprietary and other than some basic hardware like expansion cards, the CPU, storage devices and memory, there isn't much that can be replaced without using a Dell sourced part. This is one of the primary reasons we try to steer people away from buying these types of systems in the first place, but in many cases the cost of them on the used market is too tempting for many buyers to ignore and they learn the hard way later on that saving a little money the first time around often means a much larger expenditure later when they whole works has to be replaced because one thing or another is not compatible with standard form factor hardware.