[SOLVED] Can I replace the gpu cooler?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I have a sapphire r9 280x dual x cooler.
And I want to replace it with sapphire a r9 280x toxic cooler.
Will that be possible?

If that is not possible, can you suggest me best solutions for cooling my gpu?

Last edited:
Solution
Why do you want to mess with it? What are your temps?

Both cards have quite a difference in size from what I saw, I don’t see a point to messing with it if it works. If you’re having issues with card cooling, you can set up an extra fan to direct more air towards the gpu, or clean up your wiring, making a nice and tidy pc case to help with airflow. Get rid of dust bunnies regularly

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
I dont think arctic f12 case fan is optimized for pressure... I was planning to buy arctic p12(optimized for static pressure) 120mm fan... I saw the reviews, and it was amazing. (close to noctua).

That may be right that it's not optimised for pressure but the results speak for themselves.
I think we're too prone (all of us) to fall into a logic hole but the reality is that sometimes a random fan might just do the job as well as an 'optimised' fan.
I'm going to be actively doing this now with other used GPUs I get my hands on from an experimentation point of view and it's something I've also done in the past as well. I think I actually sold a GPU on ebay like that with a fan strapped on to it with zip ties.
A fan is a fan at the end of the day and the tiny fans on the GPU coolers are not really what'd you'd call optimised for pressure but a 120mm fan is always bigger than any of the GPU cooler fans that are 80mm-90mm.
I don't know why they don't release any GPU coolers with 120mm fans on them.. perhaps they don't want clearance issues with some cases.. who knows.. in any case I've got 2 of these GPUs in my son's and wife's desktops and the cooling performance is better than before. It doesn't look pretty, in fact on one of them I was so lazy I just strapped it on with 2 rubber bands (I'll zip tie them eventually).
Food for thought.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
That may be right that it's not optimised for pressure but the results speak for themselves.
I think we're too prone (all of us) to fall into a logic hole but the reality is that sometimes a random fan might just do the job as well as an 'optimised' fan.
I'm going to be actively doing this now with other used GPUs I get my hands on from an experimentation point of view and it's something I've also done in the past as well. I think I actually sold a GPU on ebay like that with a fan strapped on to it with zip ties.
A fan is a fan at the end of the day and the tiny fans on the GPU coolers are not really what'd you'd call optimised for pressure but a 120mm fan is always bigger than any of the GPU cooler fans that are 80mm-90mm.
I don't know why they don't release any GPU coolers with 120mm fans on them.. perhaps they don't want clearance issues with some cases.. who knows.. in any case I've got 2 of these GPUs in my son's and wife's desktops and the cooling performance is better than before. It doesn't look pretty, in fact on one of them I was so lazy I just strapped it on with 2 rubber bands (I'll zip tie them eventually).
Food for thought.
I have not found the results that compare f12 and p12.
But what I have found is that p12s are great performers. Quiet under heavy load, they push a lot of air etc etc.
And where I live, p12s are cheaper than f12s.