[SOLVED] Can I run windows smoothly on resbari pie

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I have read reports of Windows running on RPi's but have no links to offer. Try Hackaday?

My experience with Windows on systems that meet the minimum spec (2GB RAM, 32GB drive) and is designed to run Windows is that you can run one, maybe two, simple programs (a browser and VNC) which is OK for minimal applications. It is frustratingly slow.

If you have a specific Windows only program, I would suggest seeing if you can get Wine (Windows emulator) to run on your Pi

I have found Raspberry Pi OS a fine operating system for its intended purposes. I control things and log the data. If you're just running a browser, go with that.

I have bought inexpensive widows laptops for around USD$80. I see that an RPi 4 and display costs about USD$95 and that's without case, keyboard or mouse.

There are two significant downsides to Windows. First, when an update comes, you system is rebooted (not good for 24/7 applications). Second, Windows updates for non-mainstream computers often are unsuccessful. I have brick which will attest to that.

While running windows on an RPi may be cool, it's like riding a bike with "ape" handlebars and fat, knobby tires on asphalt: looks cool, but goes slow and is a hassle.

Pied Piper

Reputable
Jul 13, 2019
Intel x86 / AMD x64 Windows will not run on a Pi, not natively. You need Windows on Arm and there is no official version released by Microsoft that supports the Pi's ARM processor. What's out there is a hacked work in progress, not likely what your interested in.

Shauryaink

Prominent
Jan 8, 2021
I have read reports of Windows running on RPi's but have no links to offer. Try Hackaday?

My experience with Windows on systems that meet the minimum spec (2GB RAM, 32GB drive) and is designed to run Windows is that you can run one, maybe two, simple programs (a browser and VNC) which is OK for minimal applications. It is frustratingly slow.

If you have a specific Windows only program, I would suggest seeing if you can get Wine (Windows emulator) to run on your Pi

I have found Raspberry Pi OS a fine operating system for its intended purposes. I control things and log the data. If you're just running a browser, go with that.

I have bought inexpensive widows laptops for around USD$80. I see that an RPi 4 and display costs about USD$95 and that's without case, keyboard or mouse.

There are two significant downsides to Windows. First, when an update comes, you system is rebooted (not good for 24/7 applications). Second, Windows updates for non-mainstream computers often are unsuccessful. I have brick which will attest to that.

While running windows on an RPi may be cool, it's like riding a bike with "ape" handlebars and fat, knobby tires on asphalt: looks cool, but goes slow and is a hassle.
Can you provide me that laptop I will pay for it of course .. actually I live in india and here these things are too costly

Technically is possible to run Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 3 and 4. But no reason because 1) there is not much software compatible with Windows ARM flavor. Basically nothing from what people want to use. And 2) Pi is seriously underpowered for most desktop applications. So as proof of concept Windows on Pi works but no more.

As people above said, you can find used fine Windows 10 compatible laptops for like 80-120$. Local craigslist in my country have three dozens of them (checked at yesterday). I believe in India you can find used laptop too. Money shortage obviously is not covered with this topic. Maybe do something for someone for some rupees. Milk a cow.

FYI: If software prices raises concerns, there is Open Source world nearby.

TRENDING THREADS