[SOLVED] Can I set up my C7 archer as an access point for my ISP modem?

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
My ISP modem/router is a CODA-4589.

I ran a cable to my basement for an Archer 7 router I have sitting around, and I would like to plug my TV and PlayStation into it. I would also like it to broadcast WIFI.

Right now, if I plug modem>Archer 7, it broadcasts the old WIFI network. Is there a way to set it up so it's just rebroadcasting the same network as upstairs, and will devices be able to switch between?

Is this referred to as an Access Point?

EDIT: I don't think I want bridge mode, as I've read the ISP modem/router will no longer broadcast WIFI. Not sure if I am understanding correctly. I am hoping both units will broadcast the same network.

Solution

I ran a cable to my basement for an Archer 7 router I have sitting around, and I would like to plug my TV and PlayStation into it. I would also like it to broadcast WIFI.

Right now, if I plug modem>Archer 7, it broadcasts the old WIFI network. Is there a way to set it up so it's just rebroadcasting the same network as upstairs, and will devices be able to switch between?

EDIT: I don't think I want bridge mode, as I've read the ISP modem/router will no longer broadcast WIFI. Not sure if I am understanding correctly. I am hoping both units will broadcast the same network.
You can, since that "modem" is actually a modem/router combo.

There are a lot...

kanewolf

Titan

There are a lot of versions of the Archer C7 -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/v4/ You should verify which version you have.
For example that V4 model I linked has an option in the users manual -- https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201912/20191203/1910012707_Archer C7 4.0_UG_REV4.2.1.pdf to convert to an access point. So there may be a built-in option for running as an access point.

If there is not a built-in option, then here is the sticky for setting up a router as an access point -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/

Reactions: dolokhov
Solution

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012

There are a lot of versions of the Archer C7 -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/v4/ You should verify which version you have.
For example that V4 model I linked has an option in the users manual -- https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201912/20191203/1910012707_Archer C7 4.0_UG_REV4.2.1.pdf to convert to an access point. So there may be a built-in option for running as an access point.

If there is not a built-in option, then here is the sticky for setting up a router as an access point -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/

Thanks for your help. Using this info, I was able to find the proper instruction set and it's working flawlessly now.

For anyone else who comes across this, the instructions I used are here:

Only issue I see is Inssider software now tells me I have a "configuration mismatch".

Not sure how to identify what that problem is, but devices are all able to connect. In fact, I know they are connecting to the new AP as I made a mistake making the password match the main modem/router, and had to correct that when I moved to basement (suddenly was not connected). Once I resolved that, it flips between access points without issue depending on where I am in the house.

Last edited:

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
As long as its working, I wouldn't worry about what issider is telling you.

Hey Samir and @kanewolf

Seems like ever since I set this up (Archer 7 as an access point), I've been having to reboot my ISP modem once or twice a day.

Am I causing it to crash/get overwhelmed? Any common reasons why this might be happening?

While it's working, all my devices have good connections, good speed, WIFI coverage has improved considerably. It's just now the modem is unreliable.

As soon as I power cycle it, everything works well again.

I've disabled DHCP server on the access point (Archer 7), and I've given it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the modem start-end IPs.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey Samir and @kanewolf

Seems like ever since I set this up (Archer 7 as an access point), I've been having to reboot my ISP modem once or twice a day.

Am I causing it to crash/get overwhelmed? Any common reasons why this might be happening?

While it's working, all my devices have good connections, good speed, WIFI coverage has improved considerably. It's just now the modem is unreliable.

As soon as I power cycle it, everything works well again.

I've disabled DHCP server on the access point (Archer 7), and I've given it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the modem start-end IPs.
You really need to look at the router logs to determine what kind of issues it is having. Adding an access point doesn't have any inherent risks.

Reactions: dolokhov

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
You really need to look at the router logs to determine what kind of issues it is having. Adding an access point doesn't have any inherent risks.

Ah, you were right. The errors match up exactly with the drops.

Are these universal to all routers, or brand specific? I am not finding much info:

IDText
3000000002 SNMP:50