Question Can i somehow make my headphones for music suitable for gaming?

chawlie33

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hey, i have a skull candy hesh 3 headphones, but i would like to ask if there is any possible software or settings that make them useful for gaming, since i can't localise for example sound of footsteps whether they come from the right or left etc..

Thanks in advance

chawlie33

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Test the stereo separation of your headset with the video linked below. You should hear nothing in one ear while the sound is in the other. If that's not the case, then it's probably because the stereo separation over the Bluetooth device is so terrible (Left channel bleeds into the Right and Right channel bleeds into the left).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWJaFD6R2s
The sound is separated quite well, i head nothing from the left when the right is playing. I'm connected with AUX cable yes. But i can't seem to detect that in games so i was thinking it could be something with the settings maybe i can change?

Have you used other headphones before? I mean, is this worse than your experience with other headphones? Yeah, maybe it is something in the settings that will fix it, but it could also just be a poor sound model in the game. The way we perceive sounds in the real world is a bit more complicated than what might be presented to us in games.

Skullcandy stuff, in 95% of cases are like cheaper Beats. Not really good sound quality, marketed to people to like brand names vs performance.

Just about any other headset will be better, if you want a "gaming" design, HyperX Cloud Alpha or Arctis 3 or 5 are good for under $100. You may also want to look into getting a better sound card, that can make a big difference in positional audio and clarity.

Reactions: Finstar
...if there is any possible software or settings that make them useful for gaming, since i can't localise for example sound of footsteps whether they come from the right or left etc..
I think you mean enabling some type of virtual surround mode (uses HRTF for positional audio cues) - There are quite a few options:

- in some game's audio settings, there may be a "headphone" mode that uses a virtual surround driver of some sort. (e.g. in CS:GO, "settings" > "3d audio processing", more details here)

- in windows 10, you can enable "Sonic" spatial sound mode

- if you are using on-board realtek audio sound card, it might have the virtual surround option (the "virtual surround" checkbox in the 2nd pic)

- 3rd party virtual surround software, like Razer Surround (more details here)

- a dedicated sound card with virtual surround, (e.g. Sound Blaster Play!3, uses SBX)

Last edited:
Reactions: mortemas