Question Can I swap my keyboard for a backlit version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2021
Context: I got a nice new ASUS Vivobook 15 X515JA-EJ532TS laptop for work. Sadly it doesn't have a backlit keyboard, which is something I find incredibly useful. Some other models in the X515 range do have backlit keyboards (with the exact same keyboard layout and key shapes + a backlight brightness key). Now, while rare, I should be able to procure this particular backlit keyboard (Being in India a lot of parts are harder to come by).

Hence the question: will the keyboard light actually connect and work?

I imagine the manufacturer would include the fittings and wiring for backlights on the entire range of these Vivobooks to simplify the manufacturing process, hence I should be able to connect it up. And I can get a professional for the actual installation if needs be. But considering the difficulty and cost of getting the part, I would like more surety before ordering it. Or even if nobody can answer yes or no, is there a way for me to check this myself through some software/hardware tinkering?

Sep 1, 2021
Not all keyboard models have the same connections for a back lit keyboard and not. All you can do is check with the vendor support and hope they don't make a mistake when answering.

Considering the backlit keyboard I can get my hands on is made for the X515JA-EJ502TS (mine being the X515JA-EJ532TS, the build seems to be the exact same with the only difference being a HDD instead of SSD) - would not the internal wiring be compatible?

I recognize this is a way-too-specific question already so thanks for your reply anyhow.

EDIT:
I've also been told that even if all the wiring works out, the laptop will just straight up not recognize the backlight because it was not shipped with it. Can anyone confirm or deny this? And if so, can I do something about it? (Flashing the BIOS to a different version or something)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.