Feb 18, 2019
Hi, I have a lenovo c40-30 AIO which has a Msata port connecting a dvd player.
I want to use that to connect a Msata for my OS. I don't have an enclosure and screws on the computer to hold it in place and i was wondering if I could tape it down.
Would that be a bad idea?
Thanks

popatim

Titan
Tape is far from permanent usually so I don't recommend it. You don't want it breaking free and then shorting out the AIO when you turn it on for example.
Also, the dvd drive slot is not often a full speed sata slot but usually operates at sata 1 speed.
You would be far better off, imo, getting a hard drive caddy for the optical drive bay and moving your HDD there and putting a regular Sata SSD where the HDD was.

Feb 18, 2019
Tape is far from permanent usually so I don't recommend it. You don't want it breaking free and then shorting out the AIO when you turn it on for example.
Also, the dvd drive slot is not often a full speed sata slot but usually operates at sata 1 speed.
You would be far better off, imo, getting a hard drive caddy for the optical drive bay and moving your HDD there and putting a regular Sata SSD where the HDD was.
so would you say if I use the slim sata connecting a dvd player, and me getting an adapter will slow the ssd down?
due to i was thinking of getting a kinsgton a400 and put it there. also, my motherboard only has 2 sata ports, one to the hard drive and the other to the dvd player using slim sata/

Feb 18, 2019

i also forgot to say that, my HDD would not fit in that area as it is a 3.5 inch, and that area is too small and would only fit an ssd. and I want to keep the HDD at that speed as it has everything on it. i just want to put the OS on the ssd. thanks for your help

Feb 18, 2019
will the speeds still be faster than an HDD, in the kingston a400

popatim

Titan
Well then you have no choice. The A400 is not a high end SSD but its much faster then an HDD. You should still see a significant boost in windows load times even if the port is Sata1.

Once you get the SSD up and running; drivers loaded, windows updated, additional software installed..., make an image of the drive if you can. This way you can be up and running again in a fraction of the time as going thru the installation all over again.

Feb 18, 2019
Well then you have no choice. The A400 is not a high end SSD but its much faster then an HDD. You should still see a significant boost in windows load times even if the port is Sata1.

Once you get the SSD up and running; drivers loaded, windows updated, additional software installed..., make an image of the drive if you can. This way you can be up and running again in a fraction of the time as going thru the installation all over again.
If I use this adapter I have found on ebay, will this work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-22-...h=item41d48d3b2e:g:GAMAAOSwvylbXsMF:rk:1:pf:0