[SOLVED] Can I transfer my PSU from old pc to new

May 11, 2020
Hello I currently have a lenovo y720 gamecube and I'm planning on buying a new case as well as a new motherboard and a new CPU, and since I can't afford a new PSU I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if I could transfer my PSU from my lenovo to the new case? All i know about the psu is that its a 450w energystar, thanks

Solution
Update your post to include the full specs for the build you have in mind.

I understand that purchasing a new PSU may be difficult.

However, an older PSU (and quite possibly underpowered) could cause more problems in the long run.

Read the following article from within this forum:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Run the calculators (at least 2 or 3 of them) and allow some wattage margin for future growth.

A new PSU may be necessary and you will need to figure out how that might be achieved.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include the full specs for the build you have in mind.

I understand that purchasing a new PSU may be difficult.

However, an older PSU (and quite possibly underpowered) could cause more problems in the long run.

Read the following article from within this forum:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Run the calculators (at least 2 or 3 of them) and allow some wattage margin for future growth.

A new PSU may be necessary and you will need to figure out how that might be achieved.

Solution
Hello I currently have a lenovo y720 gamecube and I'm planning on buying a new case as well as a new motherboard and a new CPU, and since I can't afford a new PSU I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if I could transfer my PSU from my lenovo to the new case? All i know about the psu is that its a 450w energystar, thanks

The GameCube uses a standard ATX power supply, but it's old and wasn't a very good PSU in the first place.

If you've already bought a new case, motherboard and CPU, why in the WORLD would you want to power all of that with an old, cheap PSU?