Question Can I Update BIOS for ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Without a USB Stick?

tagaria

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Hi!

I have an ASUS ROG Strix B550-F motherboard, and my computer's performance isn't great. I want to update the BIOS, but I'm nervous because I've heard it can be risky. Is it possible to update the BIOS without using a USB stick? What are the pros and cons?

Any other tips would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not on your board. According to page 3-1 in here, all the methods need a USB
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...MING_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

your board has crash free bios. Look at page 3.5.
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility is an auto recovery tool that allows you to restore the BIOS file when it fails or gets corrupted during the updating process. You can restore a corrupted BIOS file using a USB flash drive that contains the BIOS file.
If something did go wrong you can recover.

Hi!

I have an ASUS ROG Strix B550-F motherboard, and my computer's performance isn't great. I want to update the BIOS, but I'm nervous because I've heard it can be risky. Is it possible to update the BIOS without using a USB stick? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!
You can place BIOS file in root directory of any disk and choose it from BIOS itself but it's not any safer than from USB.

Hi!

Thanks!
BIOS updates are only risky for people who have unreliable electrical systems. If your electricity drops out during an update then you would need to use the CrashFree recovery option. If you haven't had an electrical dropout in recent memory you shouldn't worry. Just go to the Tools menu in your bios and select the EZ Update option so you don't have to worry about a usb stick.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder where the EZ Update utility is apart from being on a DVD that is difficult to use for most users
Its possible its part of Armoury Crate now

3.3 EZ Update
The EZ Update is a utility that allows you to update the motherboard BIOS in Windows® environment.
• EZ Update requires an Internet connection either through a network or an ISP
(Internet Service Provider).
• This utility is available in the support DVD that comes with the motherboard package.

it doesn't say its in the bios