Question Can I update my motherboards BIOS without a cpu?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a intel core 9th gen i5-9400F cpu, and buying a GIGABYTE B360N WIFI motherboard. The motherboard was paired with the cpu on Amazon. I believe that the motherboard would need a BIOS update to work with the cpu, but I don’t know if my cpu would work with the motherboard enough to update bios. I heard you could use a usb to update a motherboards bios, but I don’t know if you still need a cpu to do that. Does anyone know if I could do that or another close motherboard substitute?

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Some of the higher-end ASUS motherboards offer "BIOS Flashback," which you can do with nothing but a USB drive (containing the new BIOS) and the PSU connected. No CPU, Memory, or storage needs to be installed to do the update.

I don't know if other boards offer this or not.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Some of the higher-end ASUS motherboards offer "BIOS Flashback," which you can do with nothing but a USB drive (containing the new BIOS) and the PSU connected. No CPU, Memory, or storage needs to be installed to do the update.

I don't know if other boards offer this or not.
Thanks, but does the GIGABYTE B360N WIFI support that? Or just ASUS motherboards? If it doesn’t does anyone know a motherboard that naturally supports 9th gen processors, or one that does do the feature above?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts