Can i upgrade my computer or is it too old?

Kgrove0172

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Aurora
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 9216MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 9206MB RAM
Page File: 5270MB used, 13142MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 650
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI

I think this is the majority of the information you need. I know my bios is out of date and I dont know what to upgrade to. My main question is, This computer cant handle these new games coming out. I think i need to upgrade my graphics card and my cpu. Which are the best ones i can get that will fit my computer? The gtx 650 is the largest video card (physical size) that i could find that will fit my mother board. Thx for any replies guys.
http://s6.postimg.org/spjkup4pt/Full_Size_Render.jpg Picture of my case

Solution
If you OC your CPU it will be strong enough for latest releases, you have enough RAM too, so your best move would be to:

- Invest in a nice aftermarket cooler for a better OC.

- Invest in a new Video card, you can find mini GTX 970 if space is an issue in your case.

- Depending on which PSU you currently have, you might need to upgrade it to handle your new video card and your CPU's OC.

- Upgrade your BIOS to ensure no compatibility issues with your new GTX 970 (or whichever new video card you get).
If you OC your CPU it will be strong enough for latest releases, you have enough RAM too, so your best move would be to:

- Invest in a nice aftermarket cooler for a better OC.

- Invest in a new Video card, you can find mini GTX 970 if space is an issue in your case.

- Depending on which PSU you currently have, you might need to upgrade it to handle your new video card and your CPU's OC.

- Upgrade your BIOS to ensure no compatibility issues with your new GTX 970 (or whichever new video card you get).

Solution

Kgrove0172

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Sorry im new to thread i took a picture of the inside of my computer but i can't see a way to actually post it here for you guys to see. The Brand of the GPU is a Nvidia GTX 650 it is 5.7in long. when i slide it into the port it goes straight to the back for the plug in. I dont have one of those giant towers most people are getting these days.

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Same thing RaDiKaL_ suggested

Aftermarket cooler + Overclocking = Solid

""Your video games are heavily, almost entirely, GPU bound with little to no influence from your CPU." If a 970 is too pricey than the 960 is your next best bet to increase your FPS.

LrnzpKiller

Distinguished

The cpu is pretty old (2008) but upgrading it will require a new motherboard since it uses LGA 1366. So it'll be the best to try to overclock it and see if it will work

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
You made sure it's a mini right? since you mentioned the GTX-650 was the largest video card you could fit in your case (http://tinyurl.com/np7gskq) similar to that link.

Hyper 212 is a massive aftermarket cooler as seen in this image: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/08/five-lga1156-coolers-tested-on-lynnfield/212.jpg

Also you made a fantastic GPU choice as it's almost twice as fast compared to your GTX-650... your Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V 60-FPS experience is pretty much secured.

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I had no idea... but it would seem if you pick up a specific 960-GTX card you receive METAL GEAR SOLD V for free (Before September 8th) if that interests you. Research, research, research!

Receive a free download code for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain with purchase. Example link: http://tinyurl.com/p8ee7zr

Eligible card-list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=12026881011
Newegg might have the deal going on as well~

Kgrove0172

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
the gtx 960 is apparently under 10in long and i have that much space.. im such a noob that i didnt really understand how the cards could fit in there i though tit was just the length of the port they plugged into. Dont hate me.. My bios is A04. will that be okay to run the new gpu. and one more thing, if they hyper 212 is to big any suggestions that would fit in my original Aurora?

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Could you link your tower case? or name it here? - If it's a MID-TOWER you should be fine!

*Note: Remember by purchasing a new GPU you will need to be sure you have a good PSU (Power Supply) as you didn't give your PSU specifications~

Just make sure everything is up to date and you'll be able to handle the 960 (Assuming you have a decent PSU)

Kgrove0172

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
no clue on my psu the sticker is on the wrong side so i have to actually take it out to look at it and i havent done that.. The computer is Aurora R1. the original aurora i linked a photo

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
You could always take a photo of the sticker and upload it (I'll flip it around in Photoshop to identify) also your case looks like it has enough room from the photo above.