Can I upgrade my GPU?

Aug 19, 2018
Hey everyone!

Hey everyone!

I've been wanting to upgrade my GPU for a while now to play games such as Fortnite. But some people told me I'm unable to upgrade my GPU but since I'm not completely sure and don't really have knowledge of PC specs, gpu's etc, I thought I might as well ask you guys!

My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 625 (OEM)
RAM: 8.0 GB
MSI MS7848

I heard I've got pretty decent specs, except for my GPU so I thought I should upgrade it to play Fortnite (or other games) because I'm getting pretty low FPS. The guy who told me I'm unable to upgrade told me this:
"Because your Main board dont accept other graphic cards. In order to use such older graphics cards, the "OS Configuration" in the BIOS must be changed to "Win7 / other OS". The board then switches from UEFI to legacy mode. The GPU was build in the pc from the beginning, thats the problem. The Main board only accepts the graphic card it had at the beginning. And because I have Windows 8 it might be a problem."

Also, after some "research" I found out an upgrade to nvidia geforce GT 1030 would be best and cheapest for me.. Unless you guys have better/cheaper alternatives, budget: ~50-80 EU.

In short: Am I able to upgrade my GPU given the information, and what GPU should I get?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
You can play Fortnite with a GT 1030 DDR5. There have been plenty of tests on this you can watch on Youtube to get an idea of how it'll play. It might not look the best but it'll be playable.

If your computer can use the 625 then it can handle the 1030. The 1030 doesn't demand much power from the computer.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Is it a HP brand system? As its often with them that the issues with newer cards have - thats said on more modern machines like yours you may just have to disable secure boot in the bios.

If you have budget for it, I would really recommend the 1050 or 1050 ti.

If you do go for the 1030, then avoid the DDR4 models - seriously these are bad cards with about 50% of the performance of the gddr5 cards.

Aug 19, 2018

Nope it's Medion brand system. So I should get a ddr5 model?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yes, avoid the ddr4 model at all costs.

You can play Fortnite with a GT 1030 DDR5. There have been plenty of tests on this you can watch on Youtube to get an idea of how it'll play. It might not look the best but it'll be playable.

If your computer can use the 625 then it can handle the 1030. The 1030 doesn't demand much power from the computer.

Solution